Chapter 4

Calli had to wake me up the next morning, considering my phone with an alarm was at the office. She woke me up earlier than I had to be because she was on her way out to go to class. I laid in bed for 30 minutes staring at the ceiling.
When I finally got out of bed and walked to the kitchen.
Someone knocked on my door.
I walked to the door and checked through the peep-hole. There stood none other than Austin Carter.
I looked down at my pajama shorts and tank top and groaned. My hair is in a messy bun and I don't have a stitch of makeup on. Oh good Lord. Of course he shows up now, I thought.
I slowly opened the door and peeped my head through.
"Hello Austin," I said.
"Uh, hi. Your phone has been going crazy all night so I figured you probably needed it. It was too late to bring it last night or I would've."
"Oh, thank you!" I said, grabbing my phone from him.
"I also brought breakfast," he said. "May I come in?"
"Uh, yeah. Sure." I hid behind my door as I opened it for him. "Uh, the kitchen is right through that door, I will be right back."
He chuckled. "Okay?"
He began to walk to the kitchen so I slammed the door shut and ran to my room. I threw on my robe and walked to where he was sitting.
"Oh my, you got pancakes?" I asked excitedly.
"Yes, I figured you would enjoy a nice breakfast."
I took a bite, closed my eyes, and moaned as I chewed.
"This is amazing Austin. Thank you!"
He cleared his through. "You're welcome," he said tightly.
I opened my eyes and saw him staring at me. He quickly looked down at his pancakes and cleared his throat again.
"Well I should get going. I have work to do so I'll just finish this at the office."
I nodded. "Okay boss, see you there."
"Austin," he corrected.
I laughed. "Yes sir."
"Stop," he chucked. He walked out of the kitchen and I followed him to the door. "Oh and by the way," he said. "nice pajamas."
With that, he winked and walked out of my apartment.
••••••••••••
I rushed into work ten minutes late. The traffic was horrendous. I ran to the elevator and pressed the button about 100 times.
"Why so rushed?" A voice behind me asked.
"I'm la-" I turned and saw Kane. "Oh, hi. I'm sorry I'm late. Traffic was terrible."
He chuckled. "No worries, I'm sure Austin won't be too mad."
"Is he really going to be mad?"
"No, I'll tell him I caught you down here and made you go to the cafeteria with me."
"Thanks Kane. Why were you at the cafeteria though?" I laughed. "You have a whole house on the top floor."
He laughed with me. "We're out of coffee upstairs so I just ran down here."
"Oh! I'm so sorry! I will make a run to the store on my lunch break."
"Anna, don't worry about it. We are still humans. We still have legs that work."
I smiled. The elevator dinged. We walked into the office making small talk and laughing.
"There you are. You worried me a bit," Austin said to me.
"You worry too much," Kane said. "She was just downstairs with me."
Austin shot Kane a look and Kane shook his head. I wonder what that was about.
"Well I am going to go to my office. I have meetings to set up and errands to run. Call if you need anything," I said while walking to my office.
I closed the door to my office and leaned into it. They are so good looking. I don't understand how it's possible. I try to keep my eyes strictly on their faces. Kane is a bit leaner while Austin is more muscular. Kane said something about going to CrossFit the day before so that must be why he is leaner than his brother. They had some similarities but other than that, they were complete opposites. I wish I could find a picture of their parents to compare. I walked to my computer and googled Austin and Kane Carter family. Nothing. There were only pictures of the two of them. No family members were even listed other than a half-sister. Her name was supposedly Caroline. It said that her mother had an affair with the boys father and had been put up for adoption. She was adopted by a very nice family that lived here, in Seattle. Her name was supposedly changed and no other information was provided.
Wow. They had a sister. She lived in the same area I did growing up, which means we had to have gone to the same school. I wish I could figure out who she was but since her adoptive family changed her name, it's not likely I would figure out who she was.
A knock sounded at my door. I quickly minimized my screen and shut down my computer.
"Come in," I announced.
The door cracked open and Austin stuck his head in. "Do you mind running this down to Morgan for me?"
"No, of course not." I smiled and took the files from him. He stood in my doorway and didn't move. He was looking at me strangely.
"Austin?"
"Huh? Oh, yes. Thank you," he said and then opened the door wider for me to walk out. As I was scooting past him, our full bodies touched for a split second. I quickly pulled away and smiled awkwardly as I walked to the elevator. When I looked back, Austin had disappeared.
•••••••••