Chapter 5

It's been a crazy day. A lot of patients came in, the ER was at full capacity and the team was barely able to handle everything. For the first time in the entire night, I was able to have a break. It's almost 3am, exhaustion starting to take its toll but when I checked my phone seeing a voice message from Brandon, a smile stretched across my lips. Sighing I listened to the voice I've been longing to hear.

I was going to put my phone away thinking the message was over but then the smile on my lips fades hearing Brandon absentmindedly mutter,

"Cassie."

Nick is starting to regret allowing Tony to persuade him into getting drinks. He's been going around all night babysitting almost everyone that, he did not sign up for.

Oh hell no, he groans seeing Tony puking his guts out in the kitchen sink. He sighs but eventually walks over to the blonde. Nick wrinkles his nose slapping Tony's back, opening the faucet and splashing some cold water to his friend's face. "Jeez Tonz, you're supposed to watch over the interns, not join them." He mutters disappointedly.

"Where's Brandon?" he asks the blonde, slurring something back to which Nick understood nothing of. He might have headed to bed already knowing Brand, he just shook his head half dragging the blonde to his room. Leaving Tony's room, Nicksaw something on the hallway floor. Picking it up, he realized it was Brandon's phone.

"What's this doing here?" he mutters and the thing starts to ring in his hand. Nick grins answering it heading for Brandon's room.

"Hey, Skyler!" Nick greets cheerfully. She frowned for a second on the other side of the line. "Oh, hey Nicky, is Brandon with you? Why didn't he pick up the phone?" The panic in her voice was so palpable that Nick picked up the pace in his steps

"Yeah, we've had some barbeque and a few drinks earlier but he turned in for the night and left his phone. Is something wrong? Do you want me to wake him? I'm heading to his room now to return his phone." he says some relief washing over her, her tensed muscles relaxing a bit. Stop overthinking.

"Oh no, no. It's okay!" she says, sounding winded. "J-just let him rest. Thank you, Nicky." she says, forcing a smile but still coming off a little breathless. Nick stopped in his tracks, detecting distress in her voice. He was about to ask if there's anything wrong when he hears her name being paged.

"Skyler, are you still at work?" he asks, his tone disapproving. Getting up from her seat, grabbing her lab coat answering, "Uh yeah, I had to cover for a friend. It's actually part of the reason I called, to tell Brandon not to ask Erick or someone to pick me up. I don't want to inconvenience anyone. I can get myself home." She says but Nick shakes his head knowing how tired she usually is after work, Brandon used to leave work early when she had shifts like this. She always had the tendency to over work herself, Nicky knew this too damn well. When Brandon couldn't pick her up he had sent him a handful of times to pick her up

"Skyler, it's never a bother to any of us. Besides the hospital is along both Ericks and Marks way to work." he reasons. She winced, knowing she wouldn't win anyway. She never had in the past even if she vehemently said no, when getting off work her fiance's friends would be by the parking lot already waiting.

"Oh okay." she says defeatedly biting her lip. "Uh, Nicky? I don't want to come off super paranoid but.. is Cassie? Um-" She swallows hard, not knowing how to finish, feeling stupid. But she couldn't shake off the fact that she heard Brandon call out Cassie's name before the voice message ended. "Earlier, I think I-I heard Brandon say-" sighing she pinched the bridge of her nose.

"You know what? Nevermind," she sighed again, "Um, can you just please have Brandon call me in the morning?" Nick frowned to himself, he can only imagine what it's like for her. Having your fiance work with an ex? He would have been just as paranoid too. "Hey, Brandon loves you. Don't worry, Skyler." Brandon reassures her.

He's right. Brandon does love her. Everyone knows that. "Thanks Nicky, I know it's ridiculous but I just really needed to hear that." Her smile grew wider hearing Nick's melodic laughter. "Anytime! You know I always got you and my bro." He says, grinning to himself.

"Thanks." She says ,nodding as if he can see me . "Well I gotta go, keep an eye out on Brandon for me, will you?" She asked walking back to the ward. "Roger that!" He responds, making her laugh bidding him goodnight before ending the call.

When Nicky carefully opened Brandon's door though, the room was pristine as usual. No sign of his best pal and his heart sinks knowing where he could've been.

"Oh god freaking no." Nicholas breathes out, eyes falling at Skyler's photo set as Brandon's screensaver. Please, no. For Skyler's sake.