12. Christmas Miracle

❂ ❂ ❂ ❂

            We sat quietly passing the bottle around, well everyone except Wells. Bea's spear laid next to her on the ground and my knife danced around in my hand. The two of us started playing tic tac toe out of boredom.

After a while each one of us would get up to look through the window to see if the fog had cleared. It had been hours and it was still lurking outside. I sighed in frustration after checking once again, and slumped down the wall.

"It's been hours." I say, in a pleading tone, "Jasper - "

"Is in good hands. Octavia will take care of him."

            I nod, appreciating the gesture, but suddenly a lump of anger found its way coming out of my throat.

            "While we're on the subject," I say in a bitter tone, "why is it that everyone thinks me wanting Jasper not to die is a bad thing?"

            "I know," Clarke slurred, "Like I'm such a downer. I can be fun. Yeah. You think I'm fun. Right?"

            She's obviously drunk. Very drunk. Finn looks over at her with a raised eyebrows.

            "Oh, yeah. Among other things." He replied sounding like he felt awkward about the question.

            "You're fun." Wells says before smiling and continuing, "You remember that time - "

            "Remember that time you betrayed me and got my father executed? Yeah, I remember. Where were we? Fun."

            "Yeah." I sighed taking a big gulp of the whiskey.

            "Well, since you brought it up, and I didn't, because I don't want to talk about it, what were you thinking?" Clarke says sounding angrier by the second.

            "I made a mistake, Clarke." Wells voice is filled with an immense amount of pain.

            "'I made a mistake, Clarke.'" She mocks with a small laugh, then shakes her head, "Not good enough." A few tears dropped onto her cheeks, she sat up with an unreadable expression on her face, "You know, I bet you couldn't wait to run to daddy. Tell him everything so that he'd finally believe you were the perfect son he always wanted."

"What do you want me to say?!" Wells finally yells at her, unable to listen to her anymore.

"I want an explanation."

"I can't give you one. I thought I could trust him."

"Well, I thought I could trust one of my best friends. Guess we were both wrong." She sighs slumping back down after taking the bottle from me.

"I'm still your friend."

"No, you're not. If you were my friend, you would walk out into that fog and never come back."

My eyes widened and my breath hitches, everyone else in the room had a similar response. I laced my hand with Wells, he kept a loose grip on my hand, still in shock. Finn pulled the bottle away from Clarke even though she clung to it for dear life, much like someone I used to know.