Chapter Nineteen

Raia closes her eyes and wraps her hand around the cross pendant hanging by a silver chain around her neck

"Answer my call, Raphael," she whispers, summoning her Blessing.

A flash of light bursts from the necklace clenched in her hand as it transmogrifies into a longsword, and a flame erupts from it, bathing the blade of the sword and illuminating her features and her surroundings. She is dressed in a cropped tank top paired with sweatpants, and her purple hair is neatly pulled up into a ponytail.

She grips the purple hilt of her sword, steadying her breath, and begins leaping around the circular training room, the flame burning and dancing fiercely as she strikes, thrusts, and cuts. The sword hisses in the air. Her ponytail sways from side to side.

Half an hour later, she can feel her mana dwindling as the holy flame of her Blessing continues to burn. That is her handicap; she lacks the stamina to fight an ancient being known as a Blood Demon. She needs to build up her stamina if she is to survive such a battle. And to accomplish this . . .

"We can increase our stamina by exorcising demons. The darkness that shrouds the souls of the lost is what gives our weapons their power. Purifying lost spirits or destroying them can both increase our blessings," Simon said this with a knowing grin on his face.

"I see," Raia muttered, her eyes narrowing to a pinprick. "Does the level of a lost spirit differ in terms of the power it provides?"

Simon's grin broadened. "As I expected of my dear apprentice, you're as sharp as your master."

Simon ignored Raia's glare.

"Yes, the amount of power they can give us varies according to their level. Obviously, Outcasts, the low-level demons, provide us with the least amount of power. On the other hand, those that have already transitioned and evolved into Cimmerians can help our Blessings in reaching the next level faster."

Raia lowered her gaze, digesting this new information. She raised her head and looked up at her master. "What is the highest divine level of our Blessing?"

"Five is the highest divine level of a Blessing. When you reach that level, you will be able to unlock its full power."

Simon pauses and walked over to the table to take a long swig of his wine. "Also, each level your Blessing gains increases your stamina by twenty-five percent." His eyes bore into hers, and Raia held his gaze. "That is why, in order to get stronger, you must slay all demons. Destroy them all and gain power."

"Destroy them all and gain power," Raia utters, echoing her master's words. She opens her eyes and gazes down at her longsword, her eyes reflecting the fire dancing around the blade.