Them

POV: Isla Kyle

The cool breeze hit my face as I stepped out of my house. It wasn't cold but it wasn't warm, I love this weather, even though I don't enjoy waking up early to go to school, I tried to enjoy the weather. I stood in front of my school, I didn't live near my school since I had moved out of my grandmother's house. My parents sent me to England from the States to study. I do love my parent and I'm sure they do too, but looking back on the vague memories I have of them, they weren't ready to have children, when I was born.

Taking a step into my school, I looked around to see if I could see Vivian, she probably entered the school through the parking lot. Taking out my phone I opened my messages app and type;

"Hey V, I'm at school where are you?"

"I'll meet you at your locker." She quickly typed back.

Slipping my phone in my bag I started to make my way towards my locker. Looking around while walking I could see the younger students sitting around in their little groups, chatting away, being carefree. Some even running, yelling, and jumping.

..life is simple when you're young.

Walking down the small steps towards my locker making sure not to twist my ankle, I finally reached it, taking the lock into my hand I started to try and open it. My lock has issues, I can never get it to open on my first try, making everything so much harder than it should be.

"Did you hear? They're calling all year 12s to announce something." Vivian suddenly said as she leaned against my locker.

"You scared me bitch." I said as I turned to her dramatically putting my hand over my heart.

"You're so dramatic." She said rolling her eyes.

"Yeah whatever, that meeting is probably about the trip," I said as I turned back to opening my locker.

"Yeah well, we have to go to the gym, they want everyone there before the bell so, hurry up." She said still looking around the locker.

Nodding, I put my bag into the locker and take out the books for my classes. Even though we're not going to be doing anything in class. In about a week the end of the year school trip is happening, so everyone is going to be talking and planning for that. Closing my locker, Vivian and I start to head towards the gym, glancing around us to find the same things that we've been looking at for the past six years.

"I don't know if I'm going to be happy to leave high school or miss it," I said

"I will be happy, I'm ready to start my college life," she replied smiling.

I chuckled, I knew she is going to miss high school, but she is way more than ready to start the life that we have talked about for years on end.

"Hey people." I waved at Anna and Celia as we stood in front of the gym to be let in.

They smiled and waved back. The four of us have known each other for four years now, though we're not all very close, I would say they are my friends and both are very fun to be around. I opened my mouth to say something but was interrupted by a voice.

"Excuse me girls, please start making your way in and take your seat." She said and everyone began to move.

Walking into the gym Vivian, Celia, Anna, and I decided to sit on the first row as we were too lazy to walk up the stairs and sit somewhere higher. There was a lot of noise and talking in the gym, and the fact that it was echoey didn't help.

"I have a huge headache I just want to go home," Celia complained.

"Isla you want to be a doctor, why do you think she has a headache?" Anna asked and they all turned their heads to me.

" The key words 'want to be' I'm just trying to finish high school guys," I said to them laughing.

"Argh, your boring, well I've watched 16 seasons of Grey's Anatomy and it's safe to say, Celia, you might have a tumor" Anna answered.

I-

"Yeah, that is it," I confirmed making everyone chuckle.

Before anyone could say anything, our principal interrupted.

"Good morning students, may I have your attention. Some of you might be wondering why this we are here today, you might also know that every year, the year 12s go on an end of year trip. This trip is famously known in the school and other schools like the Courtridge Boys,"

Just the mention of the Courtridge boys, girls in the gym were already speaking out of dismay. It's interesting how just by mentioning them, it can create such a bad vibe.

She continued,

"Now I know our school and theirs don't have a good relationship. So moving forward we want to improve that. Mr. Brown, the Courtridge boys High school principal, and I have come together to organize something. We thought it would be best if the schools were to come together and go on this trip together. This year we are going to have the Northridge Girls and the Courtridge Boys will be making their way to Edinburgh together." She finished.

what?

The silence was all that was there. It was quieter than the exam room. I could almost hear crickets, turning my head to look at Vivian that was just staring ahead with her mouth wide open.

she was speechless, and this girl is NEVER speechless.

Turning back around to look at Mrs. Hable, only to find her looking almost intimidated. She knew a storm was coming.

"Sorry Miss, I think I heard you wrong, could you repeat that?" A girl asked as she stood up.

"Beth, I don't think you heard me wrong. This year we are going to be accompanied by the Courtridge boys for our end of year trip." Mrs, Hable said hesitantly.

Then, there it was. It was like an explosion happened, people talking at once, yelling, some even got up to leave the gym but were stopped by the teacher. You could not hear yourself talk. It made me cringe to think that we would be accompanied by the snobby Courtridge boys. I didn't know what to say, I didn't want them there, they would be the last school I would want to go anywhere with.

"GIRLS! QUIET DOWN." Our assistant principal shouted.

"How do you want us to calm down when our tip is RUINED." Another girl shouted out.

"GIRLS! You need to think of this as a way to make memories with new friends."

"Not if it's going to be those snobs." someone shouted.

"If people don't quiet down there will be detention for everyone in this room." Mrs. Hable said calmly.

That did the trick. There was no longer any screaming, but a mild chattering remains in the room. There no longer were people trying to get out of their seat to choke Principal Hable to death

"Now, they are going to be with you whether like it or not, you can try and have fun with THEM, or you simply don't attend." She explained while maintaining an expressionless face.

"Does she think we're stupid? Do you think I'm about to let them steal this trip from me? FUCK NO." Vivian whispered-yelled into my ear.

I agreed with her, no matter how much I didn't want the boys to attend, I wasn't going to let them get in my way. We just need to figure out a way to block them out.

This is going to be a nightmare

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone thank you for reading my story, I promise it's going to get better as the story goes on. Thank you for supporting. <3

- pearlyswan