Chapter 23. A Conversation with Dumbledore ☾

A/N: I only own the plot

Harry really wished that Justin had not been petrified. It really was difficult to deal with all the rumors flying around and the rueful Hufflepuffs. There really was no reason for them to act this way toward a second year. It was not his fault that a basilisk ran free throughout the school. Come to think of it, the person they should be angry with was Salazar Slytherin. He was the one who placed a basilisk in a school full of children, after all.

"I really wish they would stop blaming me. If anyone is to blame, it's Salazar Slytherin's fault, or Tom Riddle's. It's definitely not mine." Harry complained as he dropped down at the breakfast table.

"Who's Tom Riddle?" Draco asked curiously.

"He's Baby Voldemort." Harry explained as he took out a piece of parchment and a quill. He wrote out Tom Marvolo Riddle and then I am Lord Voldemort. "Voldemort is an anagram. He's really a half-blood with daddy issues."

"What a hypocrite!" Draco exclaimed as he looked down at the parchment in wonder. "Why would anyone follow him?"

"He's a very good actor?" Harry suggested as he cut up an egg and began eating it. Draco sighed and picked up a hard-boiled egg. Severys (they had decided to spell him with a y to differentiate between the snake and the Snape) popped out from underneath Draco's sleeve and Draco handed his snake the egg.

The Trio ate their breakfast in peace when suddenly, Hedwig swooped down and dropped a letter. She then perched on Harry shoulder, expecting a piece of bacon for her trouble. Harry gladly gave her some meat and pet her feathers before he opened the letter.

"It's from Dumbledore." Harry announced curiously. "I wonder what he wants."

"Maybe he wants to check and see if you really are the Heir of Slytherin." Draco suggested. Harry shook his head.

"He knows I'm not. He knows Riddle is." Harry explained. He got up. "Well, no reason to postpone the meeting any longer. I'll see you guys later."

Hermione stood there shocked. "He wants to be on time for something? He always waits until the last minute!" She exclaimed. Draco rolled his eyes and continued to eat his breakfast.

"Our Harry's growing up." He told her. She shrugged and also continued on with her breakfast.

Harry walked over to the statue that protected the entrance to Dumbledore's office. He muttered "Gum drops" and walked through the door way. He climbed the stairs and knocked on the door to Dumbledore's office.

"Come in." Dumbledore offered. Harry walked in and sat down in a chair across from the professor.

"You wanted to see me, sir?" Harry asked. At that moment, the door burst open. Harry turned expecting Hagrid to come in defending him against the accusations of him being Heir of Slytherin. Imagine his surprise when instead of Hagrid, Remus Lupin stood just inside the doorway, panting.

"He didn't do it, Headmaster. Harry is innocent! I will testify in open court. I was there the night the Chamber first opened this year and I can promise he was with me all night." Remus informed him. Harry looked shocked.

"What are you doing here, Remus? Not that I don't appreciate you being here to support me, but I wasn't expecting you today." Harry said.

"Yes, Mr. Lupin, shouldn't you be preparing for tonight?" Dumbledore asked subtly. Remus scowled at the insinuation.

"Harry has been sending me letters, telling me about the Chamber of Secrets and the events surrounding it. I wanted to come and encourage him after hearing about the accusations from last night. When I got here, I ran into Mr. Malfoy and Miss Granger. They said that Harry had been called to your office, sir. I just wanted to make sure you didn't make any other accusations against the innocent." Remus panted, still trying to catch his breath.