25. LET'S GET THIS OVER WITH

Chapter 25: LET’S GET THIS OVER WITH.

***********************************************************

Alex's POV:

********************

I sat in my office looking down at the polished wooden box in my hand, and I thoroughly regretted buying it. It was chocolate brown and the name of some French brand that I couldn't pronounce was engraved on the sleek surface in metallic silver.

When I told Kate what all had happened yesterday and how I was Jensen's 'friend date' for the event, she squealed happily and  most definitely freaked out the store lady, while we were shopping.

Sometimes she's an embarrassment in public places.

After a painful process of finalizing my dress she convinced me to buy a tie for him. It was an entire set of a tie, a pocket square, a pair of cufflinks and a lapel pin.

I never should have listened to her when she practically forced me to get this. Maybe I could still return it.

"I know what you're thinking, stop it!" Kate said sternly, from where she was lounging on the sofa. 

"Don't know why I ever listen to you, your ideas are total garbage." I lamented while staring at my best friend with accusation.

She glared back at me. "Excuse me for trying to help."

"Hey ladies!" Nick stuck his head in at the door. "I have nothing to do, you know why? It's because everyone who's supposed to give me tasks haven't done their own work, they are either zoned out or glaring around- what's that?" He asked pointing at the box in my hands, as he cut himself off, this guy has the attention span of a squirrel.

"Kate? Would you like to explain what this is?" I turned to her with a fake smile. Nick walked in and stared at the two of us with evident confusion.

With a weak laugh Kate began, "Oh that? It's just a small present Alex got for Mr. Black."

Instinctively I reached for the signed tennis ball perched on the table in front of me as a part of my table decoration and aimed it at Kate for the half truth she sprouted.

It hit her arm. "Ahhh!!" She was never good with reflexes.

Nick chuckled, "back up a minute, can someone elaborate what's this about?"

"Let me explain-" I started, but Kate cut me off.

"No! Let me. So, yesterday Jensen Black asked Alex to be his date for the charity event-"

"He did? Oh my god, this is huge!" Nick was joyous, with his jaw hanging and eyes wide with wonder.

"THANK YOU. At least someone sees it like I do." Kate said, rolling her eyes at me passive aggressively before turning back to face Nick. "Yes, so that happened but then Alex refused like an idiot but after he didn't back down they just decided to go together to the event as friends." She completed.

"What?" Nick said almost like hearing this was traumatic. "Alex, how could you...?"

"She totally lacks the romantic bone." Kate shook her head.

"So does he, they are perfect for each other." Nick argued.

"Um... If you both are done with your unnecessary drama can we get back to work now?" I interrupted.

"No we are not done." Kate turned to me, "you bought it, might as well give it to him." She then turned back to Nick and explained. "It's a tie that matches her dress, I made her buy it, but now she refuses to give it to him."