Eighteen

"Woah! That smells wonderful. What did you add?" Taehyung's dad asked while Taehyung cooked breakfast.

"My love." Taehyung answered cheekily and chuckled afterwards.

"You ruined it." His dad responded, making Taehyung's face fall. He scowled at his dad while stomping his foot on the ground.

"I do so much for this family. You all don't appreciate me enough." He huffed and went back to cooking while Taehyung's dad laughed heartily. It had been years since he saw his son smiling. His heart felt light at the sight.

"By the way," Taehyung turned around, grabbing his father's attention. He sat on the chair beside him.

"I sold the dance studio." Taehyung's dad frowned before giving him a small smile that held pride. "I want to put everything from the past behind. I need to start somewhere."

"I knew this day would come. You did the right thing, son. I'm so proud of you."

"And also, a little birdie told me you fell in love." His dad teased. Taehyung fought the light blushing rushing up to his cheeks.

"Jungkook can't keep his mouth shut to save his life."

"It's obvious. The way you watch her with that smitten expression-"

"Dad, stop." Taehyung's dad chuckled.

"Have you told her yet?" Taehyung's smile fell.

"What's the point? She's leaving tomorrow. She doesn't want to stay anymore, dad. I pushed her away farther."

Pain reflected in Taehyung's eyes. He had the power to cancel her promotion any second. He owned the company. A part of him urged him to do exactly that and keep her by his side. The sensible part wanted to let her go for her sake. She deserved a new start and somebody better than him. Somebody who would put her first, with no doubt.

The past week was spent with Arya trying to avoid Taehyung and Taehyung trying to spend as much as time with her. His plan of making sweet memories with her failed miserably. All he got was side glances and tight smiles from her. Whenever, he entered a room she was in, she scurried away. Only a few hours were left before Arya's departure and Taehyung's heart was feeling heavy.

"Guys..." Arya called, stepping down the stairs. Taehyung thought she looked adorable in her pajamas. "Aren't we going to wake up Amara?"

The three of them surrounded Amara's bed. Taehyung's dad held a video camera. Taehyung filled the room with balloons the previous night after she fell asleep. His precious little girl would turn five and he felt that fatherly warmth within him.

"Are you crying?" Arya pointed at Taehyung in a whisper.

"What?" He whispered back, patting his cheeks. His eyes widened when he felt wetness.

"Don't let Amara see those tears. She won't shut up about it." Taehyung's dad snickered.

"Shh. She's waking up."

Amara stirred a little before sitting up on the bed. Her eyes cracked open a bit and the first thing she saw was Arya smiling at her.

"Happy birthday, baby." Arya wished. Amara grinned before wrapping her arms around Arya's neck.

"Thank you, Mommy."

Arya froze as Amara rested her chin on Arya's shoulder. Her eyes met with Taehyung's for a split second before she looked away. Awkwardness filled the room before Arya tried to cut it.

"Look at what I got you." Arya said, pulling a little box from her pocket. Amara opened it with gleaming eyes and squealed at the object inside it.

"It's charm bracelet!" Arya nodded.

"Thank you so much, Arya! I love it!"

Then Amara jumped towards Taehyung's gift, which was a human sized teddy bear.

"Happy birthday, princess!"

Arya watched the interaction with not very pleasant mood anymore. She felt guilty for leaving Amara here while the little girl wanted her to be her mommy.

The entire day Amara couldn't sit still. She couldn't stop talking about how she was going to introduce her friends to Arya and Taehyung.

It was in the afternoon. Taehyung's dad took Amara out to the mall. While Jungkook baked a cake, Arya and Taehyung took the charge of decorating. As if decorating wasn't hard enough, doing it with Taehyung's gaze on her was harder.

"Should we put the happy birthday balloons in a semicircle or in a straight line?" Taehyung asked, standing on a stool.

"Huh?" Arya uttered, startled. Her mind was elsewhere. "Oh, um, I think a semi-circle would look good."

She went back to arranging ribbons until he interrupted again.

"We forgot the balloon pumping machine."

"Where is it? I'll go get it." Arya offered.

"In the storeroom." Taehyung replied. Arya nodded before making her way towards the storeroom in the basement.

Taehyung waited for Arya to return. After fifteen minutes passed, he went down to the basement to see what was taking her so long. He found the store-room door open and Arya searching through stuff.

"Didn't you find it?" Taehyung asked, leaning against the door.

"I have been searching everywhere." Arya replied with a sigh.

"I'm certain I put it here somewhere." The moment Taehyung leaned away to help Arya search for the machine, the door creaked and shut itself. Taehyung twisted the doorknob only to find it locked.

"What do we now?" Arya whispered wide eyed.

"I'll ask Jungkook to get the keys." Taehyung searched his pockets for his phone but found them empty. He cursed under his breath.

Arya gulped, looking around the small room. She didn't do well in cramped spaces. The ventilation was limited and the distance between Taehyung and her was so short that if either of them, their shoulders would bump into each other.

"Are you alright?" Taehyung asked, noticing the discomfort on Arya's face.

"Y-yeah." She was feeling mildly claustrophobic. She leaned against the wall. The room was narrow, and it didn't help with the closeness between them.

A few minutes passed in silence and Arya felt better. She still wouldn't meet Taehyung's eyes.

"Why are you avoiding me?" Taehyung asked, hurt. Arya switched her gaze from the floor to Taehyung.

"I'm not avoiding you-"

"Bullsh*t." He cut her off. "Do I disgust you now?"

Arya looked into his eyes for the first time that week. They held anguish, and he looked lost.

"You scare me, Taehyung." Arya whispered. "I'm scared if I look at you, I'll lose my will to move on."

Taehyung's heart fluttered at the fact that she still felt something for him, but it hurt too because she wasn't willing to let her feelings guide her.

His face inched closer, eyes hooded as he glanced at her rosy lips. When his hand cupped her cheek, Arya's eyes closed leaning into his soft touch.

He found her pink lips inviting. Taehyung was giving her enough time to back away. He was being cautious to not take a wrong step before his lips finally pressed against her's.

Arya knew she would regret it later, but in the moment's heat, fire burned within her and she kissed back with as much passion.