Chapter 31

Song: True Love Will Find You In The End

Artist: Crybaby

Chapter 31

Not even twenty-four hours later, a call from the hospital came through that Grandma Mora passed away. There was barely enough time to enjoy and register Nikolai's consciousness. He couldn't get out of bed when he woke up. He had to wait for the doctor to show up and check on him. That's when he got the news that his grandma passed on and he couldn't see her in her last moments.

He was awake, but it still felt like he was in a coma. People spoke about him in his presence, as if he wasn't there. They labelled him as weak and unstable. Dustin came into the room every morning until the funeral. All his stuff was in the room, so he assumed it was his room. Dustin fed him and helped him into his suit for the funeral, even though he said he could manage.

At the funeral, sadness and grief hadn't struck as it did around Nikolai. Eirene wore a large black hat to distract people from the number of tissues she used. Lucca sat beside her and looked around with his thumb in his mouth. He made eye contact with Nikolai, who leaned forward and waved. He expected a wave back, but his stepbrother stared until he drooled. As if Lucca wondered where his older brother was all this time?

Beside Nikolai sat Octavia in a black dress and tights. She was the same baby sister he remembered leaving, but something about her was different. There was light in her eyes when he first saw her to a point where she almost cried. They have spoken little since, but he wanted to know everything that happened in her life while he wasn't in it. 

Before the funeral started, Nikolai found Danté who told him an entire year passed since that night. No wonder nothing looked familiar to Nikolai when he walked around their house. Even when he stepped outside and was surrounded by a tall gate that he wasn't permitted to go through. When he noticed it was still summer and wished only a few days had passed, but not an entire year.

He looked around at the first few rows of family members, then the rest being strangers. It wasn't the biggest cemetery, but it was the town's only cemetery. Grandma Mora had the most flowers around and on top of her casket. Octavia held a bunch of pink roses, their Nonna's favourite colour. She noticed her brother's stare and took one out and offered it to him.

***

The school bus was on time for its first day back at school. Even though Octavia could've given her Psychology book to someone to give to Mr Redrum, she wanted to take this trip one last time. The bus turned the corner, and she glanced back at the house where Nikolai stood. She waved, and he returned the gesture. 

Her stomach twisted and flopped with butterflies because she still had to get used to seeing him. She caught him up with everything that he missed out on in her life. It took longer than she thought to explain. They spoke at the early hours of the morning, at breakfast, while they swam and before bed.

At first, Nikolai felt out of place, but once he was caught up and Danté took him out again, things returned to normal. Octavia and Nikolai were left at home with Lucca, and they enjoyed movies with Ajax on the sofa. Dustin took Nikolai to the gym while Octavia gave them space. 

They shared a best friend bond like no other. She felt like Dustin was babysitting her when he was with her, but when he was with Nikolai, they enjoyed stuff together. It made her last day easier, knowing that Nikolai had someone with him while everyone returned to their lives in Saint Beaurage for one last day.