Chapter 19 - Doing Better

Jasper did not return for the rest of the night, allowing Darren to have the room all to himself. That didn't comfort him too much though since he constantly expected the Alpha to return, thus causing him to toss and turn whenever he did try to sleep. By the time morning arrived, his hair was a tangled mess. Just as he wondered where he last left his comb, he sat up to find Liam in the room, watching him.

A small yelp escaped Darren as soon as he noticed the ominous figure. "Uh...Good Morning?"

"I couldn't help but notice..." The Alpha began, ignoring the rogue's greeting, "That ever since you arrived, things have gotten rather...Chaotic."

"I can't help that." Darren shrugged nervously. How long had he been standing there?

"I'm mainly concerned with the fact that my protege' has started to question me. Yesterday he argued with me right in my own office, and this morning I found him sleeping on the couch despite my orders to keep you under surveillance"

Darren frowned. "Sounds like he's becoming a true Alpha then if he won't even listen to you anymore."

The man frowned and a burst of Alpha Presence filled the room, boring down on the little rogue. Darren's Collar began vibrating violently. Suddenly, it felt like the protective device was choking him, and Darren's hand flew to his neck to loosen it.

"I think it's about time you learn some proper respect. I'll be getting rid of that collar for starters..." Liam reached towards Darren, and the rogue backed away in panic. Just as the Alpha was within reach, another hand grabbed his.

Jasper stood between the two instantly as he scowled towards Liam. "Keep your hands off of him."

"You dare interfere?" Liam countered, his arm still outstretched.

Jasper looked him square in the eye and yanked the other Alpha's hand away from Darren. "Yes."

Liam did not look too happy about his protege's interference, but he backed down none the less. "We will discuss this later." Was all he said as he turned and left the room.

There was a heavy silence after Liam left, and Jasper took a moment to look Darren over. He eyed the rogue's rebellious hair and disheveled night clothes. As his eyes wandered lower, a blush graced his cheeks and he faced away. "You okay?" He mumbled.

Darren was utterly confused at the mans reaction, but grateful that he hadn't allowed Liam to remove the collar. While it was true that it was blocking the mate bond, it was also helping him deal with all the Alpha crap he had to endure each day. Without it, he'd probably be fainting around those two on a regular basis.

"Yeah." Darren replied as he got off the bed, somewhat shakily, and dug through is bags for a change of clothes.

"Okay, I'll see you downstairs." Jasper replied awkwardly and went to leave the room. "Let me know if he keeps bothering you."

Darren quirked an eyebrow. "Sure."

As he changed, he thought over their interaction. It felt odd having his old bully defending him. Before, the only people he ever expected something like that from were his parents, but of course they dashed his childhood illusion when they proved too submissive to ever do anything that might upset their almighty leader. When they failed to care for him, Darren had developed the expectation that no one would.

Maybe the guy was only doing it to make himself feel better?

Making his way downstairs, he found Jasper speaking with Gerrit. The Alpha's son then handed over a folder and patted his shoulder.