Chapter 12 - I'm an absolute snack!

Even though Benjamin would probably not be playing, as he was a reserve, he did tell Erin that they'd beat her every chance he got. He seriously got a little cocky, challenging his sister, telling her how much better his team was. Erin never really got into it, as she knew it was an overconfident 14-year-old talking.

But three weeks before their match against one another, he lost that attitude for a bit. It was in the morning at breakfast when the post arrived. Erin had completely forgotten about her brother's gift, until a huge package flew into the Great Hall. It was wrapped in layers and layers of brown paper, but the broom-shape was unmistakable.

The two owls who brought it in dropped it straight into Benjamin's porridge bowl and although his table wasn't too pleased with the porridge fountain that followed, Benjamin couldn't care less. His eyes turned the size of Bludgers as he noticed the package. He ripped the paper off and admired his new Nimbus 2000. Even though the model was already three years old, it was still better than the broom of the average Hogwarts student.

Erin gave him plenty of time to show off his new broom to the rest of his house before she approached him. It was right before lunch, when she spotted him in the hallway, without his broom for the first time that day.

"Erin, Erin!" he called out for her. "Erin, did you see the broom mum got me? It's a Nimbus 2000!"

"I did, I picked it out", Erin smiled.

"Really? Thank you!" Benjamin said and hugged his sister in excitement. He quickly pulled back as he realised they were in the middle of a crowded hallway.

"Can I see it?" Erin asked. They still had about fifteen minutes left before lunch.

"Sure, come on." Benjamin took her all the way to the seventh floor, where the Gryffindor Tower was.

"I'll bring it out, but you have to stay here. Only Gryffindors are allowed", Benjamin said proudly, running up the staircase. Erin shrugged, leaning against the banister, inspecting her nails. She had always suspected her brother would be a Gryffindor, but it was so very clear now.

"What are you doing here? Spotting birds again?"

Erin looked up to see Oliver coming up the stairs as well, followed by his friend Percy. Erin chuckled at the thought of her little joke.

"Nah, terrible atmosphere here", she said. Percy walked on, but Oliver stopped for a chat.

"Benji is showing me his new broom."

"Ah, right. You're not going to be able to keep up with him on that thing", he said.

"Is he playing against us?" Erin asked confused.

"No, probably not, hope you don't mind."

"Of course not, I didn't expect you to give him a spot so soon. And either way, you're the captain." It had become Erin's regular nickname for Oliver and he didn't seem to mind it very much.

"Well, I'll see you around", Oliver said and walked up the stairs again, just as Benjamin was running down.

"I've got it!" he yelled.

"Oi, Erin!" Oliver turned around. "I've got something to show you tonight. Be in your common room at ten." Without any other words, Oliver entered his common room. What?

Erin was soon distracted from Oliver's offer when Benjamin shoved his gift in her face.

"It's super fast! I get to try it out during practice tomorrow", he said, his eyes sparkling with excitement. It was a really pretty broom, completely streamlined and polished.