Chapter Twelve: Day Three

"Here." Alice tosses me the opened bag that she was snacking out of and I snag it out of the air. I stick my hand inside it and take out one of the dried fruits in it, biting into whatever it is.

It tastes like a mixture of apple and peach.

I hand it wordlessly to James, who is sitting next to me. He takes it, eating some of it as well.

"What's the plan today?" I look over to Fiona, who is chewing as well. She meets my eyes. "I mean - we did an inventory of the food and weapons and even set traps. Are we just going to wait?"

I open my mouth to confirm that we are, in fact, going to just wait. But, Alice beats me to it. "Yes. Do you want to go out on unnecessary mission-"

"I bet that at least one trainee will try to attack us today." Perry speaks up.

James hands me back the bag, frowning. "I doubt it. They've got at least a-"

"I was taking to the careers, actually." He says sharply. "That doesn't include you."

I hear Alice let out an audible sigh.

James tenses. His fingers tighten around the spear lying next to him. "Excuse me?"

"I didn't stutter, did I? In my opinion, you've got no right to be here. You're a kid." He points a knife in my direction. "She's the only reason that you're here."

I don't respond, instead eating some more food. Perry isn't wrong; James is only here because of me. I could easily shut him up with a well-placed throw of one of the knives lying scattered on the ground next to me, but James needs to stand up for himself.

"I deserve to be here just as much as you do." James' voice comes out hard as flint.

My eyes flick from his figure back to Perry. The older boy seems much less affected by the conversation, although he keeps his hold on the knife in his hand steady. He scoffs. "You and me both know that's not-"

"We are not wasting time on infighting." Alice interrupts him.

"It isn't infighting if no one wants James here." Perry snorts and stands. James immediately stands as well. Neither of them move closer to each other - yet.

Her eyes narrow. "I want him here-"

"Why?" He counters quickly. "He cost you Jay and, right now, I'm not sure if I believe that someone else killed Nadine."

No one speaks.

I take another bite of fruit and glance at Fiona. Her hands have dropped her food and picked up a bow, notching it with an arrow. She meets my eyes, worry flashing through them.

"I - I didn't kill anyone yet." James answers after a moment.

He's right. I've done all the killing.

"Said with such conviction." Perry takes a step forwards; James shuffles backwards. "Well, if you didn't kill them, then - enlighten us - who di-"

A surprised scream echoes through the cavern.

"Trap." Alice stands, grabbing a torch and quickly heading out of the cornucopia. I stand a quickly limp after her, using a spear as a cane of sorts.

Fiona rushes out after her as well. By the time I reach the door, I can hear the two boys behind me start to move away from each other; thank god that conflict is over - for now. I doubt that James will protect me over himself and, if he was forced to answer Perry's question, I could have been outed.