(25) Kathie Jane

Disclaimer
Please be very careful with what comments you leave on my stories. If it's any way hurtful or offensive to me or any of my readers, I won't hesitate to block you. I work hard writing my stories and I refuse to let 'Karens' lambaste my hard work. Be negative somewhere else.

Kathie Jane

I may have been understating when I thought Cade Parkinson is not a people person. Dinner party at the Parkinsons is great, so far. Except Cade looked pained and ready to run the whole evening. Turns out, however interesting the conversation was with my circle of friends, I kept looking his way, trying to check if he'd already ran off.

Cade's mother has left him to fend for himself because she was happily chatting with my mother whom she has invited. My nephew, Ethan waved eagerly when he spotted me. He's been accompanying his grandmother to social events and I can tell he's finding a fascination to parties as I have when I was his age.

He ambled toward me from across the garden. I tried to keep my eyes trained on him but the thickening guests crowded him in. And Chandra had made her way to me, offering me a glass of red.

My eyes kept flicking to the sea of chattering throngs of people Ethan disappeared through. Chandra followed my gaze and we finally spotted the cute little boy who wasn't sporting a smile anymore.

His eyes watered when he saw me and then he crashes to my leg, his face buried on my thigh.

I drooped to his eye-level. "What's wrong, sweetheart?"

His bottom lip lurched forward. "I tripped."

"Oh, sweetie. Where? Are you hurt?" I searched his entirety, my eyes frantic with worry.

"My knee hurts." He sniveled, his hands going to his tearful eyes.

Chandra crouched down. "I'm sorry, baby," she murmurs before turning to me. "I'll take you guys inside. I have a first aid kit up in my room."

I smiled. "Thank you." I lifted Ethan to my arms, cautious not to brush up his knee.

He burrowed his face in my neck and started to cry. "I just want to go home," he sobbed.

I stroke his back as I followed Chandra inside their enormous house and up the undulating stairs to her room. "We will, buddy. We'll take you home."

We got to her bathroom where she pulled out a first aid kit from one of the drawers. I put the toilet seat down and laid him atop. His small whimpers escalated into sobs. "I want mommy, Aunt Kathie. Please let me go home."

"But we still have to see your knee," I consoled.

"No. I want my mommy," he sobbed.

Oh, boy.

Chandra and I swapped anxious glances. There was a clearing of throat from the bathroom door and our head whirled toward the commotion in hopes for a miracle.

Cade stood in the doorway, impassive and completely frigid. He shot us both a confused look, then turns to a crying Ethan. His face softened as he walks past us and bent on the floor in front of my nephew.

"Hi, buddy. What's wrong?" His voice came out uncharacteristically warm.

Ethan hiccupped. "I tripped. But I got up quickly when I did. I didn't want them to see."

"You're a tough guy. And quite a ninja. No one saw you tripped."

"Really?" He swiped his palm over his cheeks.

Cade nods. "Yes. Not even a single living soul."

Ethan calmed down a little.

"Does it hurt somewhere though?" He asks softly.