53 - #13 Part 3 of 6

Chapter 53: The Judges

[3rd Person's Point of View]

Isshiki was currently wiping his knife using a white cloth. "It's hard to imagine him doing this, given how he's usually naked except for an apron." Hisako said.

"You're right." Iku replied.

"Naked except for an apron? What's that about?" Alice asked which made you laugh. "Tell me, Miss Secretary." Alice added.

"Don't call me that." Hisako said avoiding Alice's gaze.

"Nikumi-chan!" Alice called.

"Don't call me that." Iku said then Alice went to me.

"(Reader)-chan!" Alice said so you laughed.

"I'll invite you guys some time." you said then Alice pouted.

"Slitting the eel from the back is more mainstream. I've heard before that slitting the eel from the stomach is a technique that's developed in Kansai regions like Osaka and Kyoto." Ryoko explained.

"Why would Isshiki-senpai know that?" she asked.

"Of course he would. The Isshiki family has operated a traditional Japanese Restaurant in Kyoto's Gion district since the Muromachi period. The Kinokuni family in the east and the Isshiki family in the west. The two families are the two famous pillars of Japanese cuisine." Erina explained.

"Kinokuni-senpai and Isshiki-senpai's connection doesn't end there." you stated.

[Flashback]

"Eh? A boy from another family's going to come live with us, Father?" the 4 year old Kinokuni Nene asked.

"You know about the Isshiki family in Kyoto, don't you?" her father asked her. "It's their ancient tradition. Once the presumed heir turns 4 years old, they are to be trained somewhere far away from their home." her father explained while smiling.

"Really?" Kinokuni asked then her father nodded.

"Our two families are very close. He's the same age as you so you may even become friends." her father continued.

They heard a knock on their door so her father stood up to meet a little boy standing by the doorway. Kinokuni Nene who was shy hid behind her father.

"Say hello, Nene." her father said so she peeked to see Isshiki. "He is the Isshiki family's heir, Satoshi-kun." her father said.

[End of Flashback]

"What? That means... / They're childhood friends?" Ryoko and Yuki exclaimed.

"I suppose that's true." Isshiki said chuckling.

"No, it's not!" Kinokuni yelled which made everyone to look at her. "He just stayed with us to train! We didn't become close or anything!" she yelled rather, defensively.

"My goodness, you're prickly as ever today, Kinokuni-kun." Isshiki said smiling while Kinokuni glared at him. "Why are you so against me?" Isshiki asked.

"Don't act naive! You know why." Kinokuni replied.

"Well, it appears the judges have just now arrived! Allow me to introduce them to you!" Urara yelled.

"Oh, judges. They are important, indeed." Hisako said.

Then a green-haired girl entered while carrying 5 thick books. She was struggling but managed to put the books down on a table. She then sighed a relief.