Ch.20

South Memphis, TN

Cali's POV

After the show the sprinter driver dropped everybody off at my house, so they could get their cars and go home. But Markeyvius said he wanted to take me somewhere before he went home.

We drove for about 10 minutes before we he pulled up to a vacant abandoned building.

" What we doing hea?" I asked as we stepped outta my truck.

" It wouldn't be a surprise if I told ya, now would it?" He said as extended his hand out for me to grab it.

I sighed as I grabbed his hand. He lead us to the side of the building where a there was a cast iron fire escape ladder. I looked at him with a confused look on my face.

" Awww, fuck no baaaaby! Who finna climb up there? Not Caliana." I said shaking my head stepping back.

" Mane, come on." He laughed.

" I'm not going for real son. I'ma wait on you in the truck. Cause that ladder look old as fuck, so I know it ain't been inspected." I said turning around.

Key grabbed my arm and said," Do you trust me?"

I nodded my head yes.

" Well, come on. I promise I gotchu. Go up first I'm behind you."

" Fine, but you be not look up cause I got on a skirt!" I sighed giving finally giving in.

" Mchttt damn, you always wanna steal a nigga joy." He said as he smacked his lips.

I began climbing up the ladder taking my time making sure I don't fall. Once I reached the top of the rooftop, key was right behind me.

He walked over to the edge. I stood next to him as we looked at the view of the city.

 I stood next to him as we looked at the view of the city

" Oh my God, it's beautiful. How did you find this place?" I gasped in amazement.

" By just being a bad ass kid. Doing shit I knew I wasn't suppose to do. Going places that I wasn't suppose to go." He laughed.

It went silent for a second. You could hear the water currents in the river, the cars driving on the bridge from a distance. It was calming and peaceful.

" You know you the first person I ever brought here right?" He said as he looked down at me.

" Ya ass lying." I said laughing not believing him.

" On my granny I never told nobody bout this place."

" Why not?"

He shrugged and said," Ion know. I never really wanted to until now."

" Well, thank you fa bringing me hea." I smiled.

" I'ma miss our city."

" Whatchu mean our city? I've heard only been hea fa a year and a half, so I can't claim it as my city."

" You sound crazy as hell! Once you moved here yo ass took over the city. In the lil amount of time that you did." He said shaking his head at me.

" Explain whatchu mean." I said cause I was genuinely confused.

Key's POV

" Bruh, when you came here you had everybody attention even mine." I admitted truthfully.

When I first met Cali I was more than attracted to her. I thought was the most beautiful female I ever met besides my momma and granny of course. But I didn't wanna give her too much attention cause I was still with Bre.

" Ion know about all that." She said denying it.

" I'm serious. Every female was either jealous of you or wanted to be cool with you. All the niggas wanted you. You the baddest girl in Memphis, and everybody know it. You made a name fa yo self. You known out here, so this yo city just as well as it is mine. Neva let nobody tell you any different!" I said as I nudged her shoulder.

" Ight GLOCK." She said trying to be funny.

" You remember the night I took you home from the Halloween party, and you made me promise to always keep my gun on me?"

" Yeah."

" Why you made me promise that?" I asked looking at her.

Before she spoke she became quiet, and started into space for a few seconds.

" My fault, yeen gotta answer it."

" No, it's fine. I'm sure you seen my post a few days ago on Instagram about it. I knew I would have to tell y'all one day." She sighed.

" Um, so last year Trey and my boyfriend Shy was shot. But Shy died on the scene." She said as she looked down playing with her fingers. I noticed that's something she did when she was nervous or was finna cry.

" Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. What was he like? Cause if he was anything like Trey ass yo ass hand a handful with dem niggas."

Cali laughed.

" No, he was actually the opposite of Trey. He was leveled headed until you disrespected him or the people he loved."

" Fat said he was the next up drug dealer out there. Is that true?" I asked being nosey.

" Yeah." She said nonchalantly.

" Damn, I knew you like hood niggas but I never thought you fucked with a drug lord prodigy."

" But he never planned on taking over. He was just good at what the shit. Anybody who really knew Shy knew he planned on getting out the game when he turned 21. He was saving up so he... Well so we, could move to Atlanta to start our dreams. I wanted to be a model, and he wanted to be a business owner. He wanted to own night clubs and real estate properties. He had everything planned out. He saved  a little over a quarter of a million dollars before he was killed."

" Damn, ian never touched that much money or seen that much money in my life. Well, until I get my money from signing my contract."

" Congratulations on that. I'm really proud of you Lashun." She smiled.

Whenever me and Cali was alone we would call each other by our middle names. I never let nobody call me that.

" You the only person I let call me that. My own momma and granny don't call me that. You better be lucky I fuck withcho ass KARIN, but I preciate it."

" Come on let's go. You know we got a flight to caught in a few hours." She sighed.

" Yeah, you right. Yo ole young ass finna turn 18." I said teasing her.

" I might be young, but I'm doing a whole lotta grown woman shit outchea. Ya heard me!" She smirked.

" Ight Karin, I keep telling yo ass you fucking with the right nigga. Keep playing with me, and watch what happen." I said nodding my head.

She laughed as we had down the ladder, and headed back to the truck. We had to be back up in a few hours to catch the plane to Miami, so we could celebrate Cali's 18th birthday.