A promise with Itachi [7]

When Masami entered the realms of consciousness once more, she found herself greeted by a blinding light seeping in through her bedroom window. As the sun smiled down at Masami in all its rays of glory, she offered it a dark frown in return and a view of her rear end as she twisted violently away from it. The birds twittered loudly outside, almost laughing at the child's crumpled body. Half of it was stretched over the quilt, whilst the other half seemed to be dangling off the side like a branch in the wind.

"Neh... Sun go away!" The young child lay still for a long moment, trying to ignore the squawking of birds outside. In Masami's opinion, she had heard better sounds emitted from a cat with a bone stuck in its throat. "Ergh!" Slamming her hands on the bed, Masami finally flicked her eyes open and sat up. Despite her pupils blurring, she quickly managed to register the yellow colours of her bedroom wall. It hurt at first, but not as much as the pounding sensation in her head.

"Stupid birdy gave me a headache..." The child glared at the ugly crow outside her window before groaning softly. She couldn't even remember who put her to bed last night.

"Owe... Oka-san... Oka-san!" Naturally, Masami whined for her mother but was strangely met with a cold silence. Puckering her lips tighter together, the child pushed out her chest and extruded a louder shriek from her lungs

"Oka-san my head hurts!"

...

Nothing

Sighing deeply, Masami lazily stumbled from her bed and tottered towards the door with a loud yawn. Her whole body swayed dangerously from the sudden movement, her mind muddled like it had just been forced into a blender. Abruptly, Masami took a leap of faith towards the door, her mouth dropped open in concentration and her tongue slipped out licking air. The sooner she found Mikoto, the sooner should could get some medicine for her sore head.

"Do you have any idea how stupid that was?!"

Masami fingers froze in mid reach, the tips of her nails timidly brushing against the door's handle. On the other side of the wood her father's livid voice vibrated through.

'Did they find my pink blanket? I told Itachi to wash that!' Masami bit down on her bottom lip with a hard force, leaving teeth imprints on the red skin. 'No... he wasn't this angry last time that happened...'

Masami's ear seemed to move on its own as it pressed silently against the door, which was the only thing shielding her from her father's wrath right now. It was hard to admit, but deep down Masami knew she was a coward, even the sound of her father's raised voice completely terrified her. Somehow, it managed to break through the walls and shake the whole house with ease.

"Itachi, she could have been killed... How are you ever going to become a successful ANBU officer if you can't even keep your eyes on a simple child? Hmm?"

Itachi's in trouble? But he's never...

"And Sasuke, I have told you countless times to keep an eye on Masami and yet you never fail to disappoint me! Itachi has a hard enough time looking after you as well as your imouto-san, the least you could do is make a proper use of yourself!"

Masami clenched her eyes shut. Her heart felt like it was plummeting into the depths of her stomach for Sasuke. It was at that moment every memory from yesterday seemed to come crashing down on her like a giant, ugly bug. It was only meant to be a fun game of hide and seek... but somehow she had managed to get her brothers into trouble, almost crack open her skull, and gave her favourite mask to a crazy guy who also planned on destroying Konoha.

Great!

"My mask..." Cradling her neck, Masami gave out a longing sigh. She already missed it.

"Masami are you awake?" Her father's stern voice leaked in from behind her door. Masami slapped a hand over her lips with eyes larger then plates. Every ounce of her body went cold and rigid at the seemingly innocent question.