MCPEW 023 RESIGNATION

'A part of me just died. Life will never be the same again.'

I sat outside one of the wooden benches outside the hospital, but I was still unable to stop crying. After seeing Mom again, I felt my whole world collapse at my feet. It felt like a huge part of me had been taken away when the truth finally sunk in that she's gone. Though I cried a river it felt as if it wasn't enough.

For a moment I allowed myself to mourn my loss, knowing that I have to get up and continue with life again after this. With my face buried in my palms, I sobbed, not the slightest bothered by the casual attention I'm getting from passersby.

'With my greatest ally gone, I have to face the cruelty of the world on my own now.' I thought to myself, making me only sob harder.

"You can have my handkerchief, don't worry it's clean." A woman's voice said.

I reluctantly raised my head and saw a young woman about the same age as me.

'She was kind enough to offer me a handkerchief,' I thought to myself, taking the handkerchief from her hand before mumbling a weak 'thank you'.

I thought the woman would just leave after handing me her handkerchief but I was mistaken. Instead of going away, she sat on the bench beside me.

"I lost my father today," She whispered. Thinking I misheard her meaning, I raised my head to look at her only to see a pair of eyes swollen with tears. The woman was pretty with chocolate curly brown hair, aristocratic nose and big rounded eyes.

But the evident stress and sleeplessness written all over her face completely dulled her appearance. She looked exactly like a woman who lost her faith in life.

"I'm sorry for your loss." I mumbled, drying my cheeks using the handkerchief she'd given me.

The woman, as if she hadn't heard me, continued. "You know what's the hardest part? I just learned that I'm not my fathers's real daughter. I'm the product of my mother's extramarital affairs."

I found myself doing my best not to burst into tears again. Despite the pain in my chest, I continue to listen to her story.

"I thought that was enough revelation already," she continued, "But then father still had some dark secrets to spill. He admitted that he was the reason why the love of my life left me on the altar five years ago. He also said how he hated me and wished I had died while giving birth to my illegitimate son. He said everything while he was dying. And now he's gone, there's nothing left for me but a mountain of debts, and the truth that my entire existence was a huge lie."

Finally the woman turned to look at me, "I told you my story to make you feel better. You are not alone in your struggles, there is still God who looks after us. He will find a way to let us overcome this difficulty. Like the moon, we must go through phases of emptiness to feel full again."

Her honest words were a huge comfort to me.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you." She said sincerely. I was about to tell her it's all right but she was already on her feet, ready to go but I held her arms to stop her from leaving.

"Thank you for comforting me." I whispered, teary-eyed. " I hope we will meet again."

The woman smiled in response and she hugged me tight. The warmth radiating from her gave me renewed strength.

"Don't worry, I feel we will." She assured me.

I watch the woman walk away. I'm glad to have met a stranger like her. When she was out of my sight, I walked away from the hospital with red-rimmed eyes, but without a single backward glance.

****

I entered the Elite Hotel with my chin held high, ignoring the soft whispers behind my back as I made a beeline straight to the elevator. The news about my divorce had already spread like wildfire. I would not even be surprised if everyone knew about it now. I ignored the malicious looks thrown at me and pushed the button for the top floor.

The top floor of the hotel is for VVIP guests which stands for Very Very Important Person; celebrities, business tycoons, politicians, etc. For that reason, I walked down the red carpet aisle without creating the slightest sound.

At last, after having to walk a long distance, I reached my manager's office. I knocked on the door first, before pushing it open.

I found my manager seated on the swivel chair with a deep frown on her face as she stared at the file in her hands.

"Miss Lyn." I called her.

She raised her head. Instantly her eyes went wide when she saw me and she set aside the files in her hand. "Phoenix!" She exclaimed, quickly vacating her chair to meet me.

"How was your leave? Is your mother okay?" Lyn immediately bombarded me with questions. "My god, you lost so much weight!" Concerned, she surveyed me from head to toe.

"Mom passed away," I told her and saw how she froze in shock after hearing the news.

"I'm sorry for your loss Phoenix." Lyn whispered, tears gathering at the corners of her eyes. She wiped the stray tear with her fingers.

I took a deep breath to summon enough courage before handing her the letter. "I'm sorry Miss Lyn, but this is my resignation letter."

Miss Lyn's jaw dropped to the floor and she stared at me in pure disbelief. When the shock finally subsided, she collected her wits with effort and asked, "Are you really sure?"

I nodded my head. Miss Lyn heaved a disappointed sigh. "Is there anything I can do to change your mind?"

"I already made up my mind, Miss Lyn. My decision is final." I told her firmly.

Miss Lyn put my resignation letter on her table with a heavy sigh, before turning back to me.

"I respect your decision, Phoenix. Even if it's difficult for me, I must let you go. A bird will never find its true purpose until it spreads its wings and flies. May God bless you in the next chapter of your life." She said the last words with a tear rolling down her cheek.

Tears fell down my cheeks as I left the hotel. The only regret I had about quitting my job was leaving the few genuine friends I have made. But despite the tiny regret, I was proud of myself because I knew I made the right decision.