The Devils Assistant: Chapter Three

Chapter 3

Lunch with Kirsten went well. The two of us bonded in a strange way as she dished on her dislike of Mr Satani. I was right about the bad blood between them. He had called upon her for sexual favours for six weeks when she first started in the company. His charming smile and smooth words had promised they had a relationship – that they were a couple.  And then, before she knew it, he had dropped her for some new intern who looked like she was barely legal.

I didn't comment on this. Instead I just nodded and leant a sympathetic ear. Inside however, my blood was boiling. The more I learnt about his past misdemeanours, the more I disliked the man. I became more resolved in resisting his charm because even I, someone who had no interest in dating anyone in the long run, could honestly say that Mr Satani was gorgeous. What I found more concerning was his name - Lucius Satani. I didn't understand how they couldn't see he was a bad person when his last name had Satan in it. He acted like he had a bit of the devil in him so I didn't understand why people didn't connect the dots.

Back at the office, I spent the next few hours sorting through the paperwork finding even more errors. They probably would have gone unnoticed if it wasn't for me.  As tedious as it was, Mr Satani should be kissing my feet in thanks for clearing the entire six month backlog of paperwork. I glanced at the clock, just as the small hand ticked that much closer to the five.

Cussing, I pushed myself off of the floor. I had been resigned to cold hard itchy carpet that definitely wasn't as plush feeling when you were sat upon it for more than two seconds. My chair, which I sent a longing glance at, was still buried under its own mountain of paper.

After brushing myself off and taking a well-earned stretch, I headed towards Mr Satani's office. I knew he was alone. No one had come or gone for the last hour so I knew he would be there, and for some reason, that caused me to hesitate. With a determined unladylike grunt, I allowed my fist to bang against the tinted glass. 

"Miss Holm-" The deep rich voice caressed my ears for a second before Mr Satani came to a startled stop. He lowered his gaze to me, his feature rapidly contorting into a frown as he eyed my raised fist. "Oh there you are. Can you set up the meeting room- ?"

I held up my hand which caused his mouth to shut with a click.   

"The meeting room is set and I have asked Kirsten to redirect any persons coming to the meeting to the right floor." I paused for breath and then bit my lip as I tried to think of a way to word my next sentence.

However Mr Satani, whose ego was obviously bigger than his head, thought that my lip biting was because of another reason.  He grinned down at me whilst his manicured hand ran up the length of my arm. I ignored the fact that it caused goosebumps to form across my skin and instead sent a scowl up at the man.

"I knew you'd come round." He purred at me through pursed lips.

His attention no longer on my face but was following the path of his fingers as they trailed up over my shoulder before trailing across my collar bone.  And as I stared up into his blue eyes, I felt my pulse skip but not in desire. No it was fear. I could have sworn that for just a second, those icy blues had flashed crimson.  

Deciding to ignore the ridiculous thoughts, I instead let anger take hold. Slapping his hand away, I took a step back to create a large gap between us. Two metres still wasn't far enough but my overladen office chair was pressed against the back of my legs so I had little room to move. That didn't stop me letting the fury take hold.

"Excuse me Mr Satani.  I have no idea what you presumed -." I broke off and forced myself to take a few deep breaths before I could continue.

"Let me make it clear to you, nothing will ever happen between us." I waved between him and me so there could be no possible way he could misunderstand. "There will never be an 'us'. Now, I only came to tell you that my son will be arriving in a moment so I will be a bit preoccupied. My babysitter is unable to keep him any later. Now, if you want me to work until the meeting ends, you will say nothing more about it and head to the meeting room."