Chapter Thirty

There is a calm before the storm... enjoy it while it lasts. - Unknown

Last night was a real eye opener.

The more we combed through the records of missing women and girls, the more they seemed to link back to the Haggerty family tree.

Now the question is, if the women married into the family, did they do it willingly?

I had yet to open up the folder that I'd found in my locker.

As many things seemed to these days, it slipped my mind.

But I'm planning on telling Jon about it today.

Speaking of Jon, I heard a rapping on my window, letting me know he'd arrived.

As he jumped inside, I looked behind him at the bridge that connected our two roofs. It was a hassle to get the town to agree to, but they finally relented.

Only we would have a bridge built between our rooms, making it easier to go back and forth. Or rather, making it easier for Jon to escape the near constant fighting.

"Morning," he greeted.

"Ugh, I'm so tired." I groaned.

I had gotten out of bed to let him in before plopping back down.

"I know, but we've got to go to hell for a few hours. Let's just get it over with."

"Ugh, fine. You know, I can't wait to be done with high school."

"I know. Neither can I. Now up you get." He tapped my leg, causing me to groan once more. "Don't make me tickle you.

Immediately I jumped up, getting a small head rush, before steadying myself.

"Knew that would work," he chuckled.

"Yeah, because you are relentless."

He shrugged. "Maybe. But it got you up, didn't it?"

"Yes, it did." I watched as he smiled in triumph over his small victory before looking at the folder on my desk. "I almost forgot, well I did forget, but I found this envelope in my locker yesterday."

He looked at the folder, before looking back at me. "What's inside?"

"I have no idea. I haven't opened it. I was going to show you yesterday, but then everything happened at the archives and the power going out, someone apparently being in the backyard."

He walked towards me before pulling me into a hug and rubbing my shoulder.

"Do you want me to look?"

I nodded and handed him the folder.

He released me from his embrace and took a deep breath. Slowly, almost painstakingly, he began opening the envelope.

Everything felt like it was moving in slow motion.

We had no idea what was inside. With Mr. Killian's death, it was unlikely it was another note, as it seems he was my stalker. But we never know.

This whole thing with Mr. Killian's death still hasn't sat right with me.

If he killed Miranda, why was he so quick to admit to it. Yes, he may have figured he'd be dead by the time they found him, but what was his end game?

If he truly was my stalker, why wasn't there more of an effort to contact me?

The rose and note were admittedly suspicious, coming the night before we found out he was dead, allegedly by his own hand.