Ch. 41

In honor of spooky season being here, finally (it feels like it should still be July or smth) have another update!

I've been on a bit of a writing binge lately, and I've got the next three chapters after this written up, so...

Do with that information what you will.

Anyway.

Enjoy.

"I need to see Rhodey."

"The doctor said you need to stay in bed." Peter watched him tiredly. "Rhodey's asleep. I promised I'd let you know when he woke up."

Tony lifted one shoulder. "Like I've ever followed the rules."

"He should be waking up soon, but until then, you need to stay in bed."

"Let me ask you this. If you were me, and it was Ned in that other room, would you go see him?"

Peter watched him blankly for several seconds. "That's extortion."

"I'm just saying. That's my best friend in there. I want to see him. And I get the feeling that you would web me to the bed if I tried to get up without your acquiescence."

"Oh my god." Peter stared at the ceiling in despair. "You're a horrible patient."

"Yes or no Parker."

"Fine."

"You'll help?"

"I...will help, but you owe me. I can't exactly sneak you out of the hospital room without anybody knowing."

"I'm sure you can come up with a genius plan."

"Mm." Peter tapped his fingers thoughtfully on the arm of his chair. "Let me think for a minute."

"Use that genius level intellect that you inherited from me Parker."

"I got that from my mom's side of the family. Now hush. I'm trying to think." His expression cleared, and Peter stood with a sigh. "Be back in a minute."

He disappeared around the corner of the doorframe, reappearing in under five minutes with a pleased smile. "Done and done."

Tony swung his legs over the side of the bed, about to stand up, but Peter held up a finger. "Ah ah. Nope. There's one condition."

The teenager pointed to the corner of the room, and Tony turned a horrified gaze on his son. "Absolutely not."

"You extorted me into this, this one thing is all I'm asking." Peter folded his arms. "You want me to pull out the puppy dog eyes? Or do you want me to call May?"

Tony glared at him while the teenager smirked. "Your choice."

"God, bring it over here."

"I thought so." Peter approached the bed, holding out a hand. "Need help?"

"I'm not an invalid," Tony grouched. "I don't need help into the damn wheelchair."

"Okay, alright." Peter stepped back, hands in the air. "You'll wheel yourself, I guess?"

"You guess," Tony repeated in a high pitched voice, wheeling past. "I'll freaking wheel myself you-"

The lighthearted mood vaporized as they approached the other room, and Peter took over pushing the chair without Tony needing to ask.

Tony's hands were shaking.

His face was drawn, looking older than his years, and he looked almost scared to go in.

"Dad."

Tony didn't meet Peter's gaze, but he pushed on anyways. "He doesn't blame you. He'll tell you that. In fact, he'll probably smack you for blaming yourself. You know I'm right. It wasn't your fault. You couldn't have stopped it. Try not to... try not to put the weight of the world on your shoulders again, huh Atlas?"

With that, the teen pushed open the door.

The sole occupant of the room was wide awake when they entered, and Peter smiled widely. "Hey Uncle Rhodey."

"Hey kiddo. How's it going?"

"Y'know." Peter lifted one shoulder. "Keeping this one from going crazy."

Rhodey laughed softly. "Too late for that, I'm afraid."

Peter smiled at the teasing, pushing the chair to rest beside the bed, and straightening with a groan. "I'm too old for this."

"You're in for a wakeup call then, kid," Tony quipped. "You've got a ways to go."

"You're one to talk, Tones," Rhodey said lightly. "Never thought I'd see you in a wheelchair before eighty."

"It was extortion." Tony pointed at Peter accusingly. "He wouldn't let me see you unless I obeyed 'doctors orders' and took a wheelchair."

"Give me five, Pete." Rhodey held up a hand. "This arrogant jerk needs someone to jerk his chain every once in a while."

Peter dragged a chair over. "You wanna sit here or do you prefer that?"

Tony gave him a hard stare. "You think I'm going to move again?"

The teen held his hands up placatingly. "My bad. I'm going to go grab some food, alright? I'm starving. Need anything?"

You not to betray me like this, Tony's eyes seemed to say.

Aloud, he only said no.

"I could go for some pudding," Rhodey said cheerfully. "Some of that brown cup stuff? That's the best."

"That's for old people in retirement," Tony shook his head exaggeratedly. "You're old, honeybear."

"I've aged like fine wine."

You know the drill, comment and vote if you enjoyed, my tiny shriveled heart thrives on it :)