thirty-five

I didn't know what to do to rebel against the Death Eaters, until one day I overheard a conversation between Ginny, Neville, and Luna

I didn't know what to do to rebel against the Death Eaters, until one day I overheard a conversation between Ginny, Neville, and Luna. They all, even Luna, were sitting at the far end of the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall.

"—Dumbledore left Harry the sword of Gryffindor in his will," Ginny said in a hushed voice. "But apparently, it doesn't belong to him, so Scrimgeour wouldn't give it to him."

"Did you say a sword?" I butted in.

They all looked up at me.

Ginny flushed. "Oh-um.."

I cut her off and slid into a seat beside her, "Because there was a sword in Snape's office."

She raised a ginger eyebrow. "Really? It's in Snape's office?"

"I saw it myself," I said. "Do you think that could be the sword of Gryffindor?"

"I mean, what other sword could it be?" Neville asked.

"It's got to be Godric Gryffindor's sword," Ginny said. "We've got to take it."

"Are you mad?" Neville hissed. "We can't go stealing from Snape."

"I think it's a brilliant plan," I said.

Ginny smiled at me. "See, someone agrees with me. That sword belongs to Harry. Dumbledore left it to him. Snape doesn't deserve to have it."

"But, Ginny—" Neville started.

"Come on, Neville," Luna said. "I think we should do it."

Neville sighed. "All right. But how are we going to do it? We can't get caught."

"We'll steal it at night," Ginny said. "When everyone's asleep." She turned to me. "Evangeline, do you know the password to Snape's office?"

I nodded. "Yeah, it's 'Lily,'"

"That's an odd password," Luna muttered.

"Never mind that," Ginny said. "This is brilliant. We've got to do it tonight. We can all meet outside of his office at ten o'clock, all right?"

"Are you guys sure about this?" Neville asked.

"Yes," Ginny, Luna, and I chorused.

"Okay, fine," Neville said hesitantly. "Ten o'clock it is."

* * *

At quarter to ten that night, I exited the Slytherin common room quietly. I began to slowly walk down the hall to Snape's office, careful to not wake the sleeping paintings on the walls. Hopefully I didn't run into Mr. Filch or Mrs. Norris.

I heard something, like a footstep behind me. I spun around, but there was nobody there. I sucked in a breath and kept walking.