CHAPTER 40

She'd got the call halfway to Joey's apartment. She'd been too excited about setting things right with Joey that, the words hadn't registered instantly. It took repeating before it sunk in for her. She'd told the driver to turn around straight away. They were in the opposite direction and it frustrated Emma. It would take them longer to reach Fairview Hospital than she'd like. Emma's knee bounced the entire ride over. She nibbled her fingers and willed her eyes to stay dry. Her throat was tight.

They reached the hospital eventually and Emma jumped out quickly. She paid the driver and rushed to the ICU. The elevators took too long for her. Her emotions were too crazed for her to be patient. Eventually she reached the right floor. She saw Charles as soon as the doors opened. He looked at her with bloodshot eyes. His hair was rumpled, and his clothes were askew. His shoulders were slumped low to the ground. Emma saw two young boys in their tweens sitting curled on chairs beside him. A short woman had her arms wrapped around the boys.

Emma walked towards him slowly. Her throat constricted tighter. "Charles," she said hoarsely.

He looked at her. She noticed a tear slip down his right cheek. He shook his head. Emma's tears drained immediately. Her shoulders shook heavily, and she crumbled to the floor. Charles was quick to meet her on the ground. His arms covered her, and he held her tightly. "She fought a long battle." He said quietly.

Emma gasped for air. "It's not fair. I didn't have enough time with her."

He sucked in a breath. "She loved you like a daughter. She always told me so." Emma cried harder.

"I miss her," she mumbled.

"Me too," he said.

~~***~~

Emma stayed at the hospital until morning. She stayed to comfort Charles and his family. They comforted her too. She stayed to offer help, but Charles said they had it covered. Emma stayed until her body had been removed and they were forced to leave. Charles had promised to let her know about a funeral and Emma knew it was time for her to leave then.

She'd climbed into her car and looked forward to a drive home. Her radio played a slow song that had Emma's eyes watering again. The song ended quickly and then Emma heard it. Joey was on air.

"I don't think I'm understanding this correctly," said Linda. "You're quitting the contest?" Emma's eyes jumped to her radio. Her heart stopped as she waited for his words.

She heard Joey sigh. "I'm saying there isn't a contest anymore. The truth came out last night. Juliet made her choice. The game is over." Emma hated how sad he sounded. She hadn't had a moment to speak to him the night before. She'd been too focused on Gina and Charles.

"But we had to vote," mumbled Taylor. "What happened?"

"We were at a banquet. The man we heard her speaking to at Jeff's earlier, was her Prince Charming. He put it all together last night and made a move. He admitted his feelings and she soaked it all up."

Linda scoffed. "Just like that she's with him?"

"Just like that," said Joey. Emma shook her head. It was nothing like that. She needed him to know.

"I think we need Juliet to tell us herself." Emma nodded along. She heard ringing from her radio and then her own cellphone suddenly started ringing. Emma quickly turned her radio volume down and let her handsfree device connect. She answered the phone.

"Hello." She answered.

"Juliet," answered Linda. "We're so glad you answered. We have questions."

Emma heard her normal voice play softly from her radio. She smiled. No more secrecy, she thought. "I heard. Joey's got it all wrong."