Chapter Fifty: The Week Is Long

Several hours later, the mall was empty and deserted, with all of the stores gated up except one, that contained four teenagers standing in front of a white board, staring in curiosity at the Russian code that they'd just managed to squeeze four sentences out of.

"The week is long, the silver cat feeds when blue meets yellow in the west." We all read in unison.

~~~

"I mean it just...it just can't be right." Steve said as he shut the gate.

"Its right." Robin argued.

"Honestly, I think its great news."

"How is this great news?" He asked, locking the gate and standing up, rushing to catch up with us. "I mean, so much for being American Heroes. Its total nonsense."

"Its not nonsense," I said, "Obviously we intercepted this message, which means that the American Government could have intercepted it. Its obviously some kind of secret code."

"What kind of code?"

"You know, like a super secret spy code." Dustin said.

"That's a total stretch."

"I don't know, is it?" Robin asked.

"You're buying into this?"

"Look, just for kicks, let's entertain the possibility that it is a secret Russian transmission. What'd you think they were gonna say, 'Fire the Warhead at noon'?"

"Exactly."

"And my translation is correct, I know that for sure, so...'the Silver cat feeds', I mean who talks like that unless they're trying to mask the true meaning of their message?"

"Exactly." Dustin agreed again. Robin and Dustin moved ahead, bouncing off of each other, while I stood beside Steve.

"And why would anyone mask the true meaning of their message unless the message was somehow sensitive?"

"Exactly!"

"So I guess that confirms your suspicion." She told him.

"Evil Russians."

"I can't believe I'm about to agree with this strange child, but yeah, totally evil Russians." Steve glanced at me, raising his eyebrows. I shrugged.

"Stranger things have happened." I whispered. He nodded, looking away from me before stopping suddenly, grabbing my arm to keep me with him while Robin and Dustin kept walking. "What is it?"

"Do you have a quarter?" He asked. I furrowed my eyebrows but reached into my purse, beginning to dig through it.

"Hey, guys?" Robin asked, realizing we weren't following them. "What are you doing?"

"She's getting me a Quarter." He said.

"You sure you're tall enough for that ride?" They jogged over as I handed it to him and he crouched down in front of one of the rotating horse rides, putting the quarter in it. My eyes widened as it started up and the music started playing. "You need help getting up, little Stevie?" Dustin laughed.

"Shh!" I said, holding a finger to my lips and gesturing to her with my other hand. Dustin's smile fell as he realized what the song was. "Its the song...the one in the background of the recording."

"Holy crap." He took the recorder out, playing the message. The music matched up perfectly with the horse.

"Maybe they have horses like this in Russia." She suggested.

"Indiana Flyer?" Steve asked, pointing to the logo. "I don't...I don't think so. This code, it...didn't come from Russia. It came from here."

~~~