Smirk

When I came out, he was no where to be seen . I quickly walked out of the school and decided not to wait for Lisa. I informed her that I will be going home early.

I don't know why I had an instinct that Nick will not message me today.

My mom was busy talking to her best friend on phone when I walked in.
She gestured to go and eat something from the kitchen. After I freshened up, I went to the kitchen and ate the mac and cheese which seemed to be cooked few minutes ago.

"How is school?" My mom asked me as she walked towards the dining table.

"It's great.. like as usual." I said. Not mentioning that the captain of our basketball team sat next to me, out of the blue. And also that handsome groom's man is my mentor but he seems to be annoyed about it.

"Why don't you call Lisa and ask her to come over?" She said looking quite excited. My mother loves my best friend more than she loves me.

"She is really busy with her practise lately. But maybe next week I will be staying at place for her birthday." I said her clearing my bowl.

"Oh. That's great." She smiled and walked away.

I went inside my room to find my phone vibrating. I received the call, it was Austin.

"Hey!" I said.

"What do I gift her on her birthday?" He said almost in one breathe.

"That is a great reply to my hey. And yes why don't you use your creative mind so that you can come up with a good gift for her?" I replied him.

"Why would I call if I could find it on my own? What do you think about a dress?" He said ,almost not sure if he sounded stupid.

"That would be great but I think you will come up with something better till next weekend." I said to him.

"Okay. See ya." He said and hung up the call.

I got busy with my homeworks when my phone beeped. I quickly grabbed my phone to see who it was.

*I will be late tomorrow.* Lisa's name displayed on my screen.

I was expecting.. well not expecting but...

Whatever. *Okayy.* I reply to her.

Its 10 pm and I am so tired, I decide to go to bed. I checked my phone one last time and there was no message from him. I kept my phone aside and drifted off to sleep.

The next morning as I walk through the hallway, Paul is standing in front of my locker.

What is he doing there?

"Hey." I managed to say when he looked towards me.

"Hey. Well.. I was wondering if you were free today after the classes." He said with much hesitation.

"Yeah. But why?" I asked him.

"I have a match today. I would be glad if you could make it." He said me hesitantly.

"Umm.. okay." I said to him but honestly I don't know if I belong there because I have only been to basketball match once and that too with Lisa.

"Thanks. I will go now." He said with a smile and walked away.

As I am sitting on my regular seat beside Lisa, Paul walks in and takes the same seat as yesterday. We don't talk much.

I have always wondered why he chose IT when he is such a good basketball player. But I don't think he would like me asking about his personal choices.