Chapter 35

Jayden's POV

Bodies.

There were dead bodies littering the field, from both sides. I watched as people carried the bodies off the field, some dismembered and others still intact.

I was used to war. I was used to losing loyal pack members on the battlefield, but that didn't mean that it got easier. It was especially hard watching the loved ones of the decease mourn.

This time I felt even more responsible than ever before. I wasn't there for them. I wasn't there to help them. I wasn't there to help my people when they needed me the most.

How could I look at my people knowing I have let them down?

"You didn't let them down. No one blames you for what happened" A voice said behind me and later I felt hands snaking their way around my torso.

"But I did" I replied unconvinced.

"You were hurt" she mumbled against my back.

"I know" I let out a sigh.

"You saved me. You saved our baby" Ava was now in front of me with a smile adorning her beautiful face.

"And I would do it all over again in a heartbeat" I replied wrapping my arms around her. I placed one hand on her small bump protectively.

"I know."

She rested her head against my chest as I reveled in the moment. It was still chaotic as people were busy cleaning up, but I just needed to hold her in my arms, if only for a minute.

"I should help the others" she said pulling away from me.

"Sweetheart, you should rest and let us take care of this. You must be exhausted."

"I'm fine." she replied, but her body told a different story.

She was drained from all the power she used today, but here she was still not willing to rest. She truly was an amazing Luna, and I couldn't be happier having her as my mate.

"I love you, you know that" I grinned.

"You better, because I saved your ass today and kicked some serious butt" she threatened with a playful glare.

I couldn't help but laugh at her response. Taking a step closer towards her, I drew her in for a short kiss. Pulling away, I smiled down at her as her eyes twinkled with happiness.

"Since there is nothing that I can say that will change your mind, how about you go help the women and after I'll give you a massage" I reasoned.

"You had me at massage" she smiled and walked away.

I shook my head with a stupid smile as she sauntered off, swaying her hips with a little extra sway.

"Alpha Jayden" A voice came from behind me. I turn around to see a familiar couple.

"Alpha Ryan, Luna Helen" I addressed them with an unreadable expression.

"Seems like we missed out on all the action" Ryan chuckled.

I didn't share the joke seeing as there were at least a hundred dead bodies scattered across the field.

"We came as fast as we could, but I guess you have it all handled" Helen commented looking around.

"Yeah. I owe it all to my mate."

"Where is she by the way?" Helen asked looking around.

"She's around here somewhere. I think you've met her before"

"I haven't the pleasure. The party ended before I had the chance to introduce myself."

Helen had no idea who Ava was, but I was sure that one look at her would be able to jog her memories. Ava was her daughter.

Helen found her mate days after giving birth to Ava. So she left Ava at the border of Crystal Blue pack, where she was raised.

Her father had no idea of her existence. He died without any knowledge that he ever had a daughter, all because Helen decided that it was best that Ava wasn't there to ruin her chances with alpha Ryan.

I found out about this a few days after I met Ava, but I didn't know how to tell her. I didn't want any secrets between us, hence the reason why I requested their assistance in the war. I wanted Ava to meet her, so that she could tell her to her face how she abandoned her own daughter.

"Jayden!" A voice screeched.

Not long after a body slammed into my own. I tensed up at first until I realized that it was Ava.

"Save me. She's going to kill me" she giggled.

"I will kill you Ava, and not even Jayden will be able to stop me." A voice shouted from in the distance.

"What did you do this time?" I looked down at my mate in amusement.

"I accidentally ate her ice cream" she shrugged.

"It wasn't an accident" Elsa countered.

"In my defense, I'm eating for two" she smiled innocently in Elsa's direction.

"That's not an excuse- alpha Ryan, Luna Helen- I was really looking forward to eating it" she pouted.

"Oh hi" Ava waved to the couple standing a few feet before us.

Helen's face had shock written all over it as her mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water.

"You must be Luna Ava" Ryan bowed.

"No need for formalities" Ava smiled sheepish.

"Helen, are you ok?" Ryan asked with a worried expression on his face.

"Should I tell them, or would you like to do the honors?" I asked Helen with a smug smile.

"You know?" she looked at me terrified.

"Know what?" Ava asked looking confused.

Helen pleaded with her eyes for me not to say anything, but Ava had a right to know the truth, so did Ryan.

"Helen is your mother" I spoke up looking directly at Helen.

"Wh-what?" Ava sputtered in disbelief.

"It's true" Helen sighed in defeat.

"So you were alive this whole time!?" Ava shouted in anger.

"I can expla-"

"Explain how I was tortured all my life because you abandoned me. You can explain how I was beaten for doing nothing. You can-" Ava cut herself off when she choked on a sob.

"And you. How long have you known?" She directed her anger towards me.

Ah shit.

"A few days after we met" I mumbled guiltily.

"So you've known all this time. What about having no secrets between us" she scoffed and walked off.

"Ava wait. I can-"

"Explain" she finished my sentence with a glare.

Fuck.