Part 3

I tried my hardest not to fidget as I sat in the waiting room. But my fingernail strayed back in between my front teeth where I continued to mercilessly chew it down to the nail bed. The whole area seemed cold somehow. It was beautifully decorated but had an impersonal, corporate feel to it that kept you from feeling comfortable. Hopefully, the whole building doesn't feel like this. It would be hard to imagine working somewhere that made your stomach twist up in knots just by walking through the front door.

"Miss Bennett?" A woman read from her clipboard.

"Present!" I yelped, pulling my fingers away from my mouth and sitting up straighter than before.

Oh my... are you freaking serious Elizabeth? You're not in grade school!

She cocked an eyebrow, sizing me up in the process. I could feel the heat rushing to my cheeks at my bone-headed response. That still didn't give this stranger any right to blatantly judge me as she was doing.

"Follow me please." She said, she immediately turned around and started heading down the corridor.

I scrambled after her, trying to normalise my breathing as I got closer to her. This was a lot harder than you'd expect since I was already highly stressed out from waiting for this blooming interview for a full hour and then I had to run after an impatient redhead in a tight skirt and see-through blouse.

Needless to say, this was not how I expected this morning to go. From my alarm not going off on time, to burning my tongue on a steaming cappuccino, to this impatient woman in front of me, things were certainly going swell at this point.

The redhead was not one for small-talk, she simply kept sashaying on at the same ridiculous pace as before. I wonder if that was a special skill you developed from working at places with shiny marble floors and tight deadlines.

We came to a standstill in front of large wooden doors.

"Go through there, mister Knight is expecting you."

I almost choked on my own saliva and tried to recover by giving a ladylike cough instead. I believe the execution was much closer to a cat with a hairball stuck in its throat than that of a lady.

"Did you say, mister Knight?" I asked trying to keep my voice at a normal falsetto.

But the redhead disappeared somewhere during my coughing fit.

Maybe I misheard her? Maybe she said mister Kite and not Knight. That's possible, right?

Mister Knight was the owner of Knight Inc. He inherited the company five years ago when his father passed away. There's not much that anyone knows about him apart from that really. He's non-existent on social media and the articles that I could find only talked about the improvements that the company has undergone under his leadership. I would've done some further digging had I known he was going to be the one to conduct the interview. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought such an important man would set out time in his day to do such a thing! 

I desperately tried to calm down my escalating nerves. Breathe Elizabeth...you've got this. He's just another human being. A ridiculously wealthy and powerful human being...

I took one last deep breath before turning the doorknob and entering the office.

It was magnificent...

The office was bigger than the entire first floor of our house. The dark wooden furniture and leather couches somehow made this room feel less clinical than that of the rest of the building. Bookcases lined every wall and if I didn't know it was probably filled with books and files relating to business, I would've thought it all to be a dream come true.