Prologue

The dark, dense blue forests of Daemos were truly a sight to behold. It was a world occupied by magic, both in its more monstrous inhabitants, as well as its humans. The sight of the dark trees with blue canopies of leaves laying overhead, small gaps in the leaves allowing millions of stars to peak through was a breathtaking. The flora in the area, while dangerous, could leave anyone enraptured with its beauty. Finn would normally remain on guard, as he was now, but take in the beauty of the forest. However, he was running out of time to escape.

        Finn was a soul-bearing human on Daemos. He was one of the few remaining power sources left after the killings of the others. While on his way home, with a plan to leave this world once in for all, he had realized that he was being followed. He knew he would be the next to go. Daemos, the main inhabitants of the floating islands, were merciless one their endeavors to harness magic, even if it meant killing a source so that one of them could prevail. And now, Finn was on the run from any one or any number of the fearsome king or Prince Rhal's strongest guards.

        If he failed to make it to his home in time, he would surely die. Even if her were spared, he would never see his family again. His beautiful wife who's kindness was so out of place on Daemos, but so welcoming and ceaseless. His daughter who's strength and wit were incomparable to any others, despite that she was merely a child. And his baby, still yet to be born. If he failed, he would never get to meet his own child. He would never get to raise them once the family managed to transcend to another world where they would be safe. He had so much at stake.

        Every step became more difficult, as his mind got the better of him and his fear became overwhelming, nearly paralyzing him. His heart was pounding against his chest, almost as if it were trying to break free. His throat and lungs burned from his unstable breathing. His mind ran, a mile a minute, as he tried to maintain his stead. His limbs shook and he struggled to remain steady and on course.

        Finn knew Daemos to be persistent. He knew that once he was in their sights, they would not let up. He was at so much risk in this, but it would be worth it once they could leave this horrendous place, where their lives were seen as a game.

        He heard footsteps in the grass behind him, getting closer. He retrieved one of his two swords, flinging it behind him, in hopes of slowing this assailants down. He heard the sound of one hit the ground with a thud, but the footsteps remained. There was more than one guard after him. He, or his soul rather, was valuable in the eyes of Prince Rhal. And he would not make it out of this alive. But the thought of his family had him clinging onto some almost forlorn sense of hope.

        But all in an instant, that hope faded from his body, as something knocked his feet out from under him, sensing him hurling to the dirt. He drew his other sword blocking the attacker, only to have it be flung behind him, due to the weakness of his state. Looming over him was the great General Pierce, who was still only young. He lost his breath in his throat, but rage soaked through him. He had been so close, so close that he could see his house in the clearing. His family would be forced to leave him, his corpse, behind. His body shook with white-hot rage as he glares up at Pierce.

        "That's one thing about you! You Daemos lack kindness! Maybe not now, but in time you'll realize your mistakes! You'll all turn on each other... and what happened to us will happen to you!" He spat, his anger not faltering for even a minute. Pierce did not flinch. He only raised his sword, striking Finn down, once and for all. His soul rose up from the body and into the hands of the menacing guard.

        And from Finn's home, his wife wept at the death of her love while their daughter created the portal.

        "Mama... we have to leave. It's now or never." She nodded, sadly, taking her daughters hand and crossing the portal at her side. And without another word, nor second glance, they left Daemos behind.