chapter 19

The entire family was seated quietly, waiting for Raguel to speak. Raguel glanced at Anna who was looking very nervous.

“Steven caused a lot of trouble to our family,” Raguel spoke. “Firstly, Samael’s soulmate, Julia, who was additionally Maria's sister, was killed by Steven. He had somehow forged a spell on Maria and Elena and additionally took and kept them captivated.

“It was because of the spell he had used on Elena and Maria that made it very hard for Samael to find them once he was done killing the demons who killed his soulmate.

“Elena's mom was very special and so is Elena because she is half Angel and half-human. She has the powers of her mother transferred to her by birth, and connecting a bond with an Angel made us special,” Raguel said pointing to himself and Elena. 

“Steven desired the power that came with Elena and that was why he forged a spell on her. He pretended to be her father for so long until Samael showed up one fateful day when I and Elena were captured by demons”.

“But that did not stop Steven. Even after the spell was removed from Elena and Maria, he waged a war against us, and we had to fight for our family.

“And I think you know what happened next?” Raguel asked as he looked at Grey. 

Grey was dumbfounded. He turned to look at his mother.

“Did you know about this?” Grey asked as he stood up and looked at his mother in fury.

“I do not understand all this, Mom. Why would uncle Beelzebub tell me something that is not true? What did he intend to gain?” Grey asked, raising his voice. “Why did you not tell me?” he asked his mother.

Anna was silent.

“Mom, answer me,” Grey shouted. 

“I was not allowed to tell you,” Anna said, yelling.

“What do you mean by that?” Grey asked.

Anna did not say anything. She was simply looking at her son. “I'm sorry, Grey,” she mumbled finally.

“Mom, please just tell me. What's going on?” Grey asked with pleading eyes.

But Anna did not say anything. She was struggling to keep herself calm.

“Wait a minute, Mom. You knew I was going to connect a bond with an Angel before I did,” Grey stated as he remembered the discussion he had with his mother before he met Ariel. “What do you know, Mom?” he asked again. 

But Anna remained adamant as tears flew down her cheeks. “I can’t simply say it, son,” she said.

“Why, Mom?”

Anna shook her head. “I'm sorry, son,” Anna said as she stood up and left the living room.

Grey wanted to follow her but Ariel quickly held him back.

“Give her some time,” Ariel suggested 

“But...”

Ariel shook her head at Grey. “Just give her some time. She wishes to be alone,” she said as she wrapped her arms around him.

They stood with each other there for a minute.

“Let's go upstairs,” Ariel said, as she led him to her room. “Lie down. You need to rest,” she added. 

Grey wanted to protest but Ariel pulled him down, and Grey held onto Ariel's hand. 

“Stay with me,” he requested softly.