Chapter Twenty Seven

Ashley's POV

Tiffany is getting released from the hospital today and me and the girls are going to make her feel welcome.

First, I had to make sure things were OK with Dontae's uncle that we use his house, of course he wanted something in return. So, we all pitched in and bought him a twenty four pack of beer and chewing tobacco.

"The only thing I'm gone say before getting out ya way, if you break it you buy it keep that in mind," Marvin warned leaving us in the room.

"Why is he such a crank?" Carmen asked.

"He just need a women in here to keep him company," I said.

"More like somebody to keep him warm at night, then he'd have a better attitude," she laughed.

After our little laughing and talking subdued, we got to work trying to make this as special as we could. Dontae's only task is to drive around if she gets released early, he better not mess things up either. Right now, we are blowing balloons. Deserae was too cheap to buy a pump, so we have to do it manually.

"I can't blow anymore," Carmen complained as the balloon went flying around the room making a weird noise as the air left it.

"That's what she said," Deserae laughed. Carmen glared at her, then flipped her off. Deserae rolled her eyes and continued blowing.

They can be so immature at times, I just shook my head and tied the knot on the balloon I filled with air. After the balloons were blown, we got started in the kitchen.

Everyone loves desserts, so we're gonna have plenty. Carmen and I pulled out pots, pans, bowls and the rest if the essential ingredients we would need. Deserae washed her hands and wrapped an apron around that she bought from home. For two hours, we mixed, stirred, baked and decorated.

"Did we get any candles?" I asked.

"No," Carmen said looking all around.

"There's some in the left drawer far to the back," Marvin said butting in.

Carmen opened the drawer and moved stuff around and found the candles. "Wait, we still need a lighter," Carmen sighed in defeat.

"Here," Marvin said holding out a lighter for us. Deserae grabbed it and said "Thanks". I placed the candles on the cake and deserae lit it. Carmen was busy spraying whip cream on the cupcakes and sprinkling multicolored sprinkles over them. "What about food?" I mean, we could at least have a little finger foods or something, " she suggested.

"I'm broke, all my money has gone into this get together. So, unless y'all got money its all sweets," I said looking between the two of them. Carmen reached in her pocket and handed me some money. Deserae reached in her bra and held money out to me. Hesitating a minute, I took the money from her and stuffed it in my pocket. Left the house and quickly drove down the street to the local grocery store.

Favor was on my side, because there weren't many people. That meant I could be in and out. Heading straight for the frozen section, I scanned the foods.Grabbed some taquitos and a family size bag of pizza rolls. I ran to the checkout line and the guy looked at me like I had lost it. Smiling, I handed him the money. He bagged my items up and gave me my change and receipt and I dashed out of there like a bolt of lightening. Sped off back down the street, parked and ran up to the house and banged on the door.

"Damn girl,don't be bangin' on this door like that," Marvin scolded. Pushing past him, I dropped the bags on the counter. Carmen dug through the bag and smiled when she noticed what I had bought. Hopefully everybody eat taquitos and pizza rolls. If not, oh well.