I Can't Believe It

"Well, once again, that was interesting," Rani reflected.

Kion nodded. "It was, but you know what's more interesting?"

"What?"

Kion smiled. "Apparently, I'm your boyfriend now..."

It was at that moment Rani realized what she had said. Oh god, what have I done! It just seemed so...natural.

"Oh, no no no no!" Rani denied, shaking her head vigorously. "I didn't mean it like that."

It really didn't make sense why Rani said that. She knew she liked Kion, and Kion did ask her to be his girlfriend, but the words kind of just slipped out of Rani's mouth.

Kion's smile turned into a frown. "So you don't want me to be your boyfriend?"

Rani realized her new blunder and lie.

"No no no....I do....I mean not like that but....UGHHH."

Kion then realized something. Maybe it was her blush, maybe it was the ugh she screamed, but he realized. He realized that Rani felt the same way. Maybe not as strongly, because that was impossible, but she liked him just like he liked her: more than friends.

"Rani?" Kion looked into the eyes of Rani, just as he did during his interrupted confession. She looked right back at him.

"I like you...I like you a lot," Kion confessed, pouring his soul out. There was no thinking anymore, just his heart at control now. "And I would be more than okay with being your boyfriend."

"Kion, you said it, now it's my turn," Rani stared into his gentle, fiery eyes before her lips turned into a foolish smile. "You have no idea how much I like you."

Kion swam in her chocolate eyes before doing smiling just the same.

"Only on one condition though," Kion announced.

Rani gulped. "What is it?"

"Only if you will be my girlfriend."

Rani's smile turned into...well...a bigger smile. "I would love to."

They leaned closer to one another and, slowly, brought their muzzles closer. The gravitational pull connected their muzzles as they began to nuzzle each other affectionately. After a few moments, the nuzzle turned into a hug.

 After a few moments, the nuzzle turned into a hug

"I can't believe it," Kion chuckled, still enjoying the warmth of the hug

"I can't believe it," Kion chuckled, still enjoying the warmth of the hug. "I'm Rani's boyfriend."

Whether it was the warmth of Rani, or the warmth of knowing she liked him back, he didn't care. He could never be cold when she was with him.

"Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?" Kion sighed contently.

"Yeah," Rani agreed, "but Kion's girlfriend sounds better."

They both shared a laugh, their hearts being warmed by the sound of the others.

Kion pulled away from the hug, not because he wanted to, but he had something planned. It was getting late, and Kion knew the perfect thing to do.

"What's wrong?" Rani asked, already missing Kion's warmth.

Kion shook his head. "Nothing, just follow me."

Kion started to take Rani back toward the lake when she noticed this. "Kion, where are we going?"

"Shhh..." Kion hushed, "we'll be there in a second."

After a few moments of walking, they reached the lake; it was just how Kion planned.

It was beautiful. The sky had a nice orange glow, birds were chirping peacefully, and the water had a delightful reflection of the setting sun.

"Kion," Rani gasped in awe, "this is beautiful."

"Not as beautiful as a certain lady I know," Kion smirked.

Rani looked over at her boyfriend. "A few minutes into our relationship and you're already saying cheesy lines?"

Kion smiled at her. "That's one of the things that comes with being Kion's girlfriend."

"I thought you said you weren't the world's most romantic lion?" Rani recalled, enjoying the playful banter between the two.

"I didn't think so," Kion said truthfully, "but you do wonders to me."

"C'mon," Rani motioned, "let's go watch the sunset."

Eventually, the duo would fall asleep, but this time, it would be under the same tree.