-21-

KELISE CRUZ

"I hope you know this is all your fault... if you would've been by my side and supported my decision instead of encouraging a relationship this toxic; this whole thing wouldn't have happened. But no, you want to be the fun parent so badly." Gigi mumbled under her breath, similar words to what I've been hearing over the last few days. "Kelise, this is my one daughter. The only child I was able to bear and she's been at risk of losing her life twice. Not once, but twice!" she held up her fingers before me and said, "the moment you saw that boys red flags, you should've stopped it. You could've easily prevented this. Zahriah has a stronger bond with you, she would've listened." Her voice cracked and I watched as she covered her mouth, to try and control her tears. "I told you to take sense into her and instead, you're behind my back... keeping in contact with this man."

"Okay Gigi, let's just try to stay calm right now. We're tired and a lot is on our mind right now, it's best for us to just focus on what we're here for."

"No." she shook her head, "Kelise, I want you to go in there and do something about him. Whatever you gotta do, make it happen. If you gotta bribe him with money or threaten a restraining order, I need it done and fast. I don't need this window of opportunity to ever be opened again for them. This is where I draw the line."

"I hear you Gi, but she's grown."

"She's still my baby! I could care less. I cannot bare to go through something like this again. I am emotionally drained, more anxious than I have ever been... can you not see that?"

"I see it and we're both going through it together."

"Yeah, well there's a way to make it go away. So, like I said before, do what you have to do." She practically commanded, now focusing on the traffic outside of her window. I reached over to place my hand on her thigh but she swatted my hand away before I could try. Her leg bounced and she kept her concentration every where except for me.

"Finally," Gigi huffed out a sigh as we pulled into the driveway of the hospital. Our nerves were in a knot and it didn't make it any better that we were a whole week and a half late. I had kept in contact with some of the doctors I knew here at Mason River Hospital; although everything they were telling me about Zahriah's recovery sounded good, as a mom; I wouldn't be at ease until I saw her for myself.

"Thanks man." I tipped the driver then hopped out, making sure to help Gigi out as well before shutting the door.

Following the directional arrows ahead, we made our way inside the sliding doors and was immediately greeted by a welcoming smile from the receptionist. I didn't know who she was, but I knew that she knew me. This was the same treatment I was used to when entering hospitals.

"Good evening, Doctor Cruz." She announced, reaching out to shake both of our hands. "Glad to see you made it down safely."

"Thank y-."

"Where's she?" Gigi asked, interrupting me and ignoring the greeting completely.

"She was moved down to the recovery wing a couple days ago."

"Bring us to her then." Gigi snapped and taking the cue of our eagerness, the receptionist began to lead the way.

We made our way up to the fourth floor then as we exited, we went through two sets of double doors before finally getting to our destination. The sight of a familiar face caused me to immediately relax, outstretching my hand; I dapped him up. "How you doing, fam?"

"Same old, same old and yourself?"

"Can't complain." I shrugged, "God is good, as you can see."