Chapter Five

~ Adam ~

A scalar quantity contains only magnitude while a vector quantity is magnitude and direction.

"Adam."

The length of the straight line represents a variable in magnitude and direction.

"Adam?"

This can be calculated using two methods: trigonometry or graphica-

"Adam!"

The pencil resting between Adam's teeth snapped as he bit down in surprise. Wincing, he looked up as his best friend stared at him from across the table.

Piper looked amused. One brow crept up toward her fedora as she watched Adam carefully. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Adam rubbed his eyes. "Sorry. Just in hardcore study mode."

Piper cocked her head. "When's the last time you got any sleep? You've got bags under your eyes."

"I'll sleep tonight."

"Adam. Again?"

He sighed. "I'm fine, alright? I just need to get through this exam. Speaking of which, Leo, do you have Briar's notes on stem cells and tissue regeneration? I can't seem to find mine."

Leo, the third member of what Piper had dubbed The Magnificent Three, didn't look up from his notebook as he handed a folder over to Adam. The latter took it and began organising the sheets into a colour-coded binder.

Piper wasn't impressed with Adam's deflection. She frowned at him from across the table, "I thought you had a plan to get your neighbour to shut up?"

"Do you have the notes from last week on synthetic biomaterials?" Leo asked.

Piper not-so-subtly elbowed Leo in the side and jerked her head in Adam's direction. The other boy yelped and finally looked up, peering between the two. An oh shape formed on his lips. "Yeah, you should definitely do what Piper said. Or not. Sorry, I wasn't listening."

"What a surprise." Piper rolled her eyes.

Leo sent a knowing look to Adam. "So, your plan didn't work?"

Adam sighed. "I guess sending someone a passive-aggressive essay to tell them they're a piece of shit is a double negative."

"And the cops?"

"Useless at this point. The next step would be intervention from the council but I'd rather it didn't get that far. I don't think my neighbour would even open the door for them."

Leo shrugged. A lock of his brown curls fell over his eyes from the movement. He swiped it out of the way in annoyance. "Maybe, but law is the law. He won't have a choice."

Across the table, Piper checked her phone. Her eyes widened suddenly. "Crap! I have to go."

"Where?" Adam asked, frowning.

"I'm meeting a friend at the cafe." Piper stood hurriedly and started shoving books into her bag.

"Friend, huh?" Adam leaned back in his chair with a casual smirk. "This wouldn't happen to be the same friend you've been talking about non-stop for the past week, would it?"