Chapter Thirteen: Day Four

It's so peaceful right now.

I'm resting on my spear, looking out into the darkness outside of the cornucopia. Although I can't make out much except for holes in the ground, it's peaceful. There's nothing happening.

I exhale and turn.

Things need to happen now.

I let the spear fall to the ground and limp quietly into the cornucopia. I head to the weapons pile first. After a moment's hesitation, I pick up a sharp-looking axe.

I head over to Perry. He's slumped over in front of a collection of knives - must have fallen asleep during his stabbing of the ground. I look at him for a long moment. His sleeping face is so peaceful, so innocent; it's hard to believe that the opinionated man I deal with is this sleeping man.

I exhale, mentally preparing myself for the verbal shit show that is about to commence.

Then, I raise the axe and slam it into his skull. There's a loud crack as the blade hits him in between his eyes, sending his body backwards.

"What - Perry!" I speak loudly, my voice raising instantly.

I push all of my feelings back. Now is not the time to feel.

Alice and James both wake in just as his body hits the ground. I stand over it, my eyes wide. "Who the hell did this?" Blood continues to bubble out of the fresh wound.

"What happ - Perry?" Alice rushes towards me and pushes me aside, moving down to grab Perry's torso. "Jesus Christ! Who did this?"

I stumble backwards and look away from the gruesome body. I really made it look bad, didn't I - there's now a pool of blood around his head.

James moves towards the body. His eyes are moons and his skin is extremely pale. A flash of pity hits my heart briefly; no kid should have to see that.

No kid should have to be here.

Alice continues to touch random parts of Perry, trying in vain to find some sign of life in the clearly dead man. "Perr-"

"He's dead, Ali-" James starts.

In one moment, Alice stands and pulls the axe out of Perry's head with a loud squelch. She points it straight at James, causing him to raise his hands defensively. "You!"

"This isn't me!" He takes a step backwards.

The axe swings over to my throat, still dripping with Perry's blood. Alice's eyes narrow. "One of you did this-"

"One of us." I take a step forwards. I don't have a weapon right now, but Alice still takes a few shuffles back. My eyes turn to steel. "One of us did this. You could have done this too-"

"Me? I would - I would not kill someone like this." She takes a look at the body and I take a few quick limps backwards, heading to my fallen spear. "This has to be one of you-"

"I didn't do this!" I reach the spear and pick it up, immediately pointing it at Alice.

James moves also, rushing over to where he was sleeping, and picks up a spear of his own.

A cannon goes off, and we all pause for a moment, watching each other suspiciously. James looks at me intently, but I make no motion to tell him that I did it.

"Look at me!" Alice speaks loudly.

James and I look at her, his spear swinging up to her throat as well. She holds the axe - which continues to drip - pointed towards us both, swinging back and forth between us. "Someone here did this."