Part I, Chapter 19

Nathan’s band knew they were close to the Jackson Purchase two days before they arrived. They saw the glow of lights in the dark night sky off to the west. It was a sight that struck wonder and awe in their collective spirit. It was real, they said to each other in hushed whispers as if they might scare it away with the sound of their voices. They had dared to hope, but tried to remain skeptical, not wanting to be let down. Seeing the lights meant more than most dared to imagine.

Their pace became unconsciously brisk and the mood upbeat. Everyone wanted to see what was on the other side of each hill and beyond the next bend in the road. Talk was light and laughter easy. Smiles were present, but more and more Nathan noticed long looks and glances his way. He couldn’t figure it out at first, but then he understood. Their collective fates were in his hands as they saw it. Unless he got them into the JP, they would probably never get in. Not getting into the JP meant a cold, dark, miserable life filled with dangerous people and a crushing lack of hope.

The sun was bright the day they arrived at Camp Beaver. They saw it from a rise, and the makeshift camp was fairly impressive in all the wrong ways. Row upon row of drab tents and shacks spread out before them like something from the crowded slums of Brazil or Haiti. Even at a distance Nathan could sense the squalor, desperation, and danger. Nathan wasn’t sure how the camp got its name, but it possessed none of the charm, order, or ingenuity that a beaver would have provided. They formed up and proceeded.

As they drew closer to the camp, people began to approach them either to beg or sell, but the sight of the armed men on either flank of the road, and probably the sight of a functioning vehicle, caused them to keep their distance. The air was filled with the smell of sweat and cooking fires. Yet, not everything was bad Nathan noted.

For one, Nathan did not see sick or dead in the streets, nor human waste or garbage for that matter, which could cause sickness. The next thing he noticed were figures walking throughout the camp with plastic buckets filled with what looked like clear water. As they got near the center of the camp, Nathan saw why. There was a well in the ground with a neat and orderly line of people waiting their turn. Two swarthy men stood nearby with thick bundles of car radio antennas taped together, clearly to beat anyone who refused to maintain order.

Nathan also saw a raised platform nearby with three sets of rough wooden stocks, one of them actually occupied by a skinny and bruised boy. Two other men with antenna batons stood nearby. Nathan noticed a large wooden sign posted to the front of the platform with bright blue painted words. The sign read: “Camp Beaver Rules” and underneath: “1. No stealing 2. No fighting 3. Everyone pulls their weight 4. No drunkenness 5. If sick, go to the infirmary 6. Only relieve yourself at the latrines 7. No disrespect to women 8. No bullying 9. Obey the camp authorities 10. Report all infractions.”

It was crude, but Nathan was impressed. The camp was poor and dirty, but not overly so. It appeared people were going about their business without apparent fear. They soon came to what was obviously the infirmary and also a food distribution center, with another set of guards. All the guards so far had eyed them suspiciously, but made no attempt to question them or impede their progress.

There were also thin metal poles at regular intervals along the main avenue with lights and loudspeakers attached. These people might be poor by the standards of a year ago thought Nathan, but by today’s they are fabulously wealthy.

The actual entrance to the JP almost caught them by surprise. The road led right to the I-24 bridge across the Cumberland River. The near side of the bridge contained several makeshift bunkers and approximately a dozen armed men in uniform with rifles and machine guns. Even more amazing, there was an American flag waiving bravely on a long pole in the gentle breeze. The men were lazily sitting around until they saw Nathan’s armed band come into view. With a crisp order they all moved back behind the barriers and pointed their weapons at them. Nathan’s crew stopped.