PART 2: Comfort

The news of the relationship between Kuvira and Sukara was sort of like a badly kept secret in Zaofu. Most people were well aware but didn't say anything. They were allowed to do basically as they pleased but if someone high up came asking questions, a white lie here and there was not uncommon.

They slept in the same room almost every night, getting very used to being around each other.

Kuvira sat up reading as Sukara slept soundly beside her. She stayed very focused on her book until Sukara shivered rather violently in her sleep. Kuvira frowned as she put the book aside for a moment. Gently, she pulled up the covers to put them over her girlfriend's shoulders, trying to keep her warm. Little did she know, the shiver was not from the cold, but from a nightmare.

Kuvira had been in the shower when Sukara fell asleep so she wasn't fully conscious of the fact that Kuvira was next to her.

Going back to her book, Kuvira thought that it was over, however Sukara started to shuffle in her sleep. Pushing at the pillow, a tight frown on her brow. She made small noises of complaint as she lay there, causing Kuvira to put the book down for good this time.

"Hey," she whispered, trying not to wake her but, concerned all the same.

Kuvira began to stroke her fingers through Sukara's hair in an effort to comfort her. It seemed to work as Sukara put her arm over Kuvira's legs, sleepily pulling herself into her girlfriend's lap.

A soft smile lay on Kuvira's lips as she watched Sukara, it only fell slightly when she realised that she was now stuck. She couldn't lay down to go to sleep without waking her up.

She sighed as she weighed up her options. Kuvira didn't want to wake her but she didn't want to sleep like this either. The longer she waited the worse her position became as Sukara began to actually hold onto her instead of just being draped across her. Kuvira decided to just rip the band aid off and move her. She tried to be as gentle as possible but that didn't stop Sukara from lifting her head to see what was going on.

"Hmm?" she mumbled as Kuvira slid down so that she was more comfortable.

"Sorry," Kuvira whispered, brushing the hair out of Sukara's sleepy face, "I didn't mean to wake you up."

"Hm," Sukara grunted again, placing her head down on Kuvira's outstretched arm. With one arm over Kuvira's side, Sukara pulled herself closer and went back to sleep. This time free of nightmares.

Sukara was grateful that she had only broken a bowl while she'd been in Zaofu. Especially after the destructive nights she'd had in Femaoh. She felt a little guilty for not telling anyone. It went against any and all advice she would give to anyone about this.
She just didn't want to worry them, they had just got over her being connected to Vaatu, and it had taken them so long. She didn't want them to think that she was like him. She wasn't. But she didn't want them to leave her either, not because she didn't know how to gain back full control over her spirit.