14. The Diva's Spotlight

Song: As Long As You're Mine from the musical Wicked.

~ Cordelia Gail ~

~ Cordelia Gail ~

"Touch me! It's so easy to leave me!

All alone with the memory, of my days in the sun.

If you touch me, you'll understand what happiness is.

Look a new day has begun."

Winded, I gasped in air, fighting to catch my breath. I could feel sweat glisten on my forehead. Ugh, my face is probably bright red and splotchy. Mierda.

I rubbed my neck, working feeling back into my sore vocal cords. I didn't usually exert myself that much during a rehearsal, but Kristina, my old rival, and Megan, who was just una perra, was watching me.

Beside me, Liam passed me my tea mug, I accepted it gratefully, kissing his cheek in thanks, though I knew that after he sang, I'd want to do much more to him than simply beso.

"Great job," he whispered, softly enough that only I could hear him. I batted my eyelashes. Kristina always thought he was too good for me, and some days, I knew she was right.

But I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of saying it out loud.

Right now, the former star was standing at the end of the aisle, with Mrs. Darcy, Jayson, and Weston. She was staring at me, her face hard to read at the moment. I'd noticed that. Before she left for the city, Kristina used to be so easy to read. It had been easier to tell what made her upset or self-conscious, and when I was pushing it too far. Now? I had no idea what she was thinking.

"Fantastic job!" Megan shouted from where she sat in the front row. On her left sat Sophie, who was tolerable. Most days, I liked her. She was nice, and pleasant to be around. On Megan's right sat Jamie, whose mood varied from day to day. But no matter what mood she was in, she always talked a mile a minute, never lied, and let you know exactly what she was thinking.