41: The Consequences of Tripping

Five against one was not fair.

Unless one had superpowers and could fight them all at once but Royce was no superhero nor did he have any powers.

Lying in an uncomfortable position on the floor, black dots forming in front of his vision, he desperately waited for Nathan to find his beaten up figure. Royce was barely hanging on a thread, wondering how his birthday turned out like this?

The last time he checked everything was just fine and he was waiting for Nathan to pick him up. They were going to spend his birthday by watching a movie and playing arcade games later. Then where did it go wrong?

Let's roll back to where it all began.

For starters Royce woke up with a newfound excitement in his belly, he could barely keep his toes still as he did his morning routine but he was drained too since they got home super late last night. The thought of skipping school did cross his mind but Royce couldn't afford to miss. Not when exams were clearly coming soon and he had to be prepared. He got dressed as fast as he could, heading downstairs.

Wren gave him a box filled with cookies, cupcakes, and chocolates she made herself. He hugged her just a little tighter and a few seconds longer than necessary, savouring the moment. Royce set a quick kiss on his mother's cheek and fist-bump his dad on his way out. He was radiating happiness and it was evident in his actions.

Nathan was waiting for him in the car - yes, for a fact they were riding to school together and Royce couldn't be any more satisfied by the outcome.

"Hey, birthday boy." Nathan stared at him like he had all the time in the world, his fingers immediately reaching out to push back Royce's hair. "Sleep well?"

"Not at all." Royce huffed out a breath, gripping his backpack firmly and reminding himself to not be so nervous. "How about you?"

"Same as you." Nathan pouted, looking at him accusingly. "A certain someone's thought kept me awake all night."

A knowing smile spread on his lips but Royce played dumb. "Oh? I wonder who that must be."

"Someone who's really special to me."

"Shit I'm jealous!"

Nathan let out the loudest laugh at his overly dramatic tone, eyes turning soft. "You're jealous of yourself?"

"I'm not that crazy." Royce held back the urge to roll his eyes, his stomach doing somersaults. "Now let's go before we get late."

"Your wish is my command."

-

The entire day Nathan made sure to shower him with gifts. He showed up right when their first period was over and dragged Royce to the nearest empty hallway. Hushed whispers, rushed footsteps, Nathan tucked a rose behind Royce's ear and placed a kiss on the inside of his palm, whispering. "For you."

Royce wasn't used to such gestures so he could only blush like a fool, muttering. "Thank you," It didn't help that he was completely exposed, eyes darting everywhere and nowhere. "Someone might catch us."

"Too bad." Nathan walked past him like nothing happened, throwing a wink with a salute. "See you later, my ray of sunshine."

Oh, this idiot was doing this on purpose.

Royce sighed, studying his palm with a silly smile, his other hand grazing the petals of the rose. Unfortunately, he had to take it off so no one questions him or gets suspicious.

The next time Nathan popped in front of him, Royce was startled to death, his books nearly falling from his grasp but Nathan was like an unstoppable force. "Hi."

Royce narrowed his eyes. "You scared me."

"I missed you too." He was being ridiculously cute today and said in a sing-song voice. "It's time for lunch."

Turned out he prepared the meals for them. Royce was gaping at the sight of different items, his mouth-watering. He pressed a hand to his heart, lower lip jutting out. "I think I'm gonna cry."

Royce ate most of the food, Nathan looking at him adoringly and their day progressed pleasantly. Soon enough school came to an end. Nathan went to get the car while Royce waited by the exit, humming a random song.

He wasn't expecting a hand to cover his mouth roughly from behind, suppressing his voice. What happened next was a series of blurry moments and muffled yelling.

Five against one was not fair. Then again what do we know about fair and unfair?

*

A/N:
Sike to everyone who thought Nathan was gonna get into an accident lmao. Bet none of you saw this coming! 🙈