˗ˋ 31

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THE BALL BEGINS

. . .

Rosie, Fred, Angelina and George descended down to the Entrance Hall, where a steady crowd had been growing as they waited to enter the Yule Ball at eight o'clock, when the doors into the Great Hall would be opened.

"Can I ask where exactly you got those dress robes - considering what Ron is wearing?" Rosie cringed as she saw the younger Weasley boy appear with Harry, who he attempted to hide behind as Fleur Delacour swirled past, Roger Davies following her. 

"Bought them ourselves, didn't we? The money we made from the canary creams." Fred replied, looking down at the girl, who still had her hand tucked into the nook of his elbow, staying relatively close as the crowds bustled around them.

More and more students joined the crowd, coming down from Gryffindor and Ravenclaw tower or coming up from the Hufflepuff dorms down near the kitchen and the Slytherin ones near the Potions classroom.

The oak front doors opened, and everyone turned to look as theDurmstrang students entered with Professor Karkaroff. Krum was at the front of the party, accompanied by Hermione. Over their heads he saw that an area of lawnright in front of the castle had been transformed into a sort of grotto full of fairy lights — meaning hundreds of actual living fairies were sitting in the rose bushes that had been conjured there,and fluttering over the statues of what seemed to be Father Christmas and his reindeer. 

Then Professor McGonagall's voice called, "Champions over here, please!" Rosie, using Fred to steady her, attempted to peer over the heads of the people in front of them. Seeing a head of golden brown hair, accompanied by a head of dark, styled hair, Rosie sank slightly, knowing it was Cedric and Cho.

"We can make him jealous, if you want." Fred murmured to her, so quiet that Rosie thought she had imagined it. But the ginger boy looked so serious that she knew he had, in fact, said it.

"What?" Rosie asked, deciding just to make sure that Fred had said that, and she wasn't making it up - because it was sure to make it awkward for the rest of that evening if she just assumed. 

Fred sighed, looking in the direction of Cedric, a sort of heavy look in his eyes. He had never truly addressed his feelings for his best friend - always pushing them away. But his actions towards the idea of her and Cedric - even if they were just friends, told him that it wasn't as simple as just best friends. 

Whilst Rosie might not fully see her own feelings towards Cedric yet, claiming that everything was just on a friendship basis. But considering how she just looked after confirming that he was here with Cho, Fred had figured it out for her.

Rosie liked Cedric - whether it was obvious for the girl or not. And the boy who she liked just so happened to be going to one of the biggest nights of the year with another girl. And whilst Fred wished that it could have been him that she was jealous over, another, rather familiar feeling sprang up.

Competitiveness. He might not like the results - in fact, he most certainly would not like the results - but if he wanted anything to come of this, is that Rosie comes out on top. He had been told the horrible things Cho had said to her, and saw why Cedric still went with her. And so, he wanted to help Rosie 'win'.

"We can make him jealous - but only if you want to." Fred repeated, as they joined the crowd of students heading into the hall - Rosie not even sparing a glance at Cedric, who was waiting at the side of the massive doors.

"That.. might be a good idea." Rosie said, as they found George and Angelina, sitting at a table nearish the front. Once everyone had settled down, the procession of champions began down the middle aisle. Rosie applauded along with everyone else, rather pointedly avoid looking at Cedric, although she smiled encouragingly at Harry. 

The champions sat down at the top, and using the magical menus, the group of four began announcing what food they wanted. McGonagall appeared half way through the feast, after George had ordered his seventh plate of pork chops - purely for the fun of it, until his and Fred's menus were confiscated.

A rather excited hum began amongst the students as the Weird Sisters ascended up onto the small stage, recieving an enthusiastic applause. The feast had been eaten, and happily full, the champions got up from their table, heading down to the space left empty. 

The Weird Sisters began a slow, mournful tune, and the elegant dance began. But only a few moments in, Cedric and Cho turned slowly past them, Cho looking determindly away, but Cedric looking right at them, the look in his eyes saying enough as he spotted Rosie, jaw dropping slightly. 

Rosie didn't react, but then she saw Professor McGonagall trying to encourage other students to join them. Nobody wanted to be the first to go, and so, Rosie turned to Fred.

"Brought your dancing shoes?" She asked, tilting her head. Fred, who hahd seen the whole inicident go down smirked, recognising the same determined competitiveness in Rosie's expresion that she would do on the day of a Quidditch match. 

"I came wearing them." Fred winked, jumping to his feet and pulling Rosie with him, hand already on her waist as they joined in with the swirling waltz. 

All laughter and smiles as the night truly began - and the best friends plot to make Cedric jealous was already in full swing.