Chapter Nineteen

Butterflies flapped in my stomach when I tried to eat. Mrs. Hudson watched over every bite, so I forced myself to finish everything on my plate. I helped her clean up from the meal and collected the trays from her tenants.

Colonel Forest would not meet my gaze, and I hoped the light of day had made him ashamed to remember his words.

When I would have normally been dusting, I changed out of my school uniform. Whoever was coming to visit must be important, and it would not do to meet them in a wrinkled schoolgirl uniform. The only other gown I had was the green walking one I'd purchased secondhand. Not exactly appropriate for receiving visitors, but it would have to do.

Mrs. Hudson provided me with pins to do my hair and when I looked in the tiny mirror, I thought I looked rather well.

I'd accomplished it so quickly, I was left with time on my hands. For the next half hour, I entertained Mrs. Hudson by singing. She sat and knitted while I sang whatever song came to mind. I even sang a bit of "Les oiseaux dans la charmille" from Offenbach's Les Contes d'Hoffmann. Even when I practiced, the high notes were beyond me, though Mum could sing it with ease.

Maestro would be furious if he ever learned I'd even sang part of the song for fun.

At the end of a lively show tune, I sank into a curtsy as though I were on stage. Two pairs of hands clapped in applause. "I hate to interrupt such fun," Dr Watsons said. "Holmes says you should come up now."

"I'll put tea on." Mrs. Hudson set aside her knitting and stood up.

Breathing out, I nodded and straightened my shoulders. After everything I had faced, a calm visit in the sitting area of 221B should be easy.

So why was I even more nervous about this than I had been for the evening before?

"Do you know who is coming?" I asked Dr. Watson as we made our way up.

"Holmes hasn't said a word to me about it," the doctor said with a mix of exasperation and fond resignation. "He does love the dramatic."

The colonel was just on his way out when we reached the top of the stairs. He glanced at me and then did a double take. "This way, Miss Norton," Dr. Watson said, gesturing to the door. "Oh, good morning, Colonel. We'll be out of your way in a moment."

"The goings-on in this house!" the colonel muttered, continuing on his way.

What must he think? I tried to imagine how this must look from his point of view. The maid, dressed up to the nines going into the rooms at this hour. I bit back a giggle. If he only knew the truth!

"You are exactly on time," Mr. Holmes said as I entered the room.He gestured to a chair in front of the window. "If you will be good enough to take this seat here."

I did as he said, sitting with all the grace my teacher at Miss Hunter's school would have been proud of. I folded my hands in my lap and crossed my ankles delicately under my chair. "Will you wish for me to pour tea?" I asked.

"A fine idea," Mr. Holmes said with a nod. "Though I don't imagine anyone will be of a mind to enjoy their tea."

"Is there any place you want me?" Dr. Watson asked, glancing about the room. "Shall you need me to take notes?"

"Of course, dear Watson," Mr. Holmes said. He gestured to the corner nearest me. "I need a calm observer to keep any would-be assasins away from Miss Aida. She has been threatened enough and I'm sure she would appreciate a guardian."

I smiled at the doctor as he took up his post next to me. "Fear not, Miss Norton," he said, opening up his notebook. "I doubt any of our guests, whoever they may be, will try to harm you in our presence. But if they do, I shall protect you."