Chapter Twenty-One: Zero Humanity

Greyson

I stared at the person in front of me. I was at a loss for words as everything Karissa had told me weeks ago flooded back into my memory.

Liam. Alex's first mate. Her mate from the council. The mate who didn't even give her a chance.

Instantly, anger consumed as I thought about him making her the hateful person she used to be. He ruined her.

"Greyson. Alex's mate," I said as I took his hand and shook it. He chuckled and smirked once again. I glared at him as he let go of my hand and crossed his arms over his chest.

"You know who you remind me of? Ashton. Always glaring at people," he joked. I growled lowly at him. Who was he to make snide comments about Alex's little brother like that?

"What are you doing here?" I snapped. He ignored my question and turned to look at Alex. He walked over to her slowly. I growled when he nearly laid his hand on her arm. He held his hands up in surrender and laughed.

"Relax, pup. Just here to catch up," he said. His smirk never left his face and the glare never left mine.

"I guess it would only make sense for the first destined mate of a high ranked council member to become the second chance mate to the alpha of the second largest pack in, well, existence." Each word he said made me angrier. I just hated the fact that something as repulsive as he could speak. "How many territories are you controlling now? Four? Five?" Liam's eyebrows raised as he questioned me.

My pack had been known to take over smaller packs and join them with ours. There's power in numbers. I won't deny it.

"So I see we are exactly like Ashton now, arent we?" He questioned. I growled in response and took a step toward him. "Aye. Calm down, boy. Just messing around." Liam's words were more mocking than sincere. I had a hard time controlling what I did, but I had to. I hated to admit it, but he was stronger than me.

He looked deep in thought for a moment before speaking quietly. "Exactly like Ashton." He stood up and walked toward me. He stopped and stared. I stayed frozen and he huffed. "I have watched Alex, Ashton, for years. I needed them safe. Ashton became exactly what we needed him to be; ruthless. Never answered unless he needed to. He became what he was meant to be." I stared at Liam the way you'd look at someone speaking a different language. With that look of 'what the actual hell'.

I was about to question his when I heard a nearly inaudible whisper from the bed.

"Ashton?"

Alex

"Ashton became exactly what we needed him to be. Ruthless. Never answered unless he needed to. He became what he was meant to be." A voice echoed in my mind. The voice was familiar, but I had no idea who was actually speaking. The only thing I could focus on was Ashton and ruthless. He hadn't actually gotten that bad, has he?

"Ashton?" I croaked. My throat was dry, and my body ached. I needed water or something.

"Alex, darling, are you alright?" The voice said again. I heard a growl and tensed. "Oh stop growling, you big baby. Here."

I opened my eyes slowly, but my vision was blurry. I heard footsteps as a figure walked toward me. I hand sat on my arm, and by the shocks that ran up my arm, I knew it was Greyson. I tried to lift my hand and grab Greyson's, but failed. My hand opened slightly, but he must have noticed because he quickly grabbed it.

"I'm right here. It's okay," he said quiety, but he did not seem calm at all.

"Grey?" I asked as my vision slowly adjusted and focused on Greyson.