CHAPTER TWO

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎 : 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐒

❝ 𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓, 𝐈 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 𝐊𝐅𝐂.  ❞

✧ ✧ ✧

THE WALK UP TO THE HOLLAND'S HOUSE seemed longer than the first time Luce had made the trek

THE WALK UP TO THE HOLLAND'S HOUSE seemed longer than the first time Luce had made the trek. The memory was so clear in the back of her mind... It had been her first week of school when Barb invited Nancy and Luce over for a study session and later dinner. The three had quickly made the plans traditions and they would always either go over to Barb or Nancy's house. Surprisingly, the studying had briefly improved Luce's grades thanks to Barb's tactful mathematical strategies. Luce's grades were the least of her problems now. Now, she had to overcome the challenge of never forgetting. Oh, and lying to Barb's clueless parents.

When Steve rang the doorbell, Luce's heart rate spiked. A fear washed over her, telling her this was a terrible idea and that it was too soon to face the unknown, but she knew, whatever she was feeling... Nancy felt it a whole lot worse. Not even Lucy could defend that fact that what happened to Barb was partly Nancy's fault. The girl had been selfish, and it led to an innocent girl's demise.

"I'm sorry I did not get to cook. I was going to make that baked ziti you guys liked so much, but I just forgot about the time, and before you know it, 'Oh my god, it's five o'clock'." Mrs. Holland explained herself, trying to start a conversation in the empty void that filled the house.

"It's fine. It's great." Nancy reassured her. Being kind was a part of her nature, but it wasn't a part of Luce's. So, before she said something he regretted, she just stayed quiet... like she always did.

"Right, I love KFC." Steve agreed. Luce was barely tuned into the conversation. Instead, her eyes trailed the endless pictures of Barb that laid across the house. That might've been a mistake because suddenly Luce felt the walls closing in on her, a guilt so strong it threatened to consume her. Luce knew, the smiling girl in those photographs were gone. It was a life cut way too short. Way too soon.