15. In a Daydream

~ Jase Charlton ~

~ Jase Charlton ~

"You wanted to see the auditorium?"

I cleared my throat, fighting to keep from showing my disappointment. "Yes," I said, dropping the accent as the mood vanished. "That sounds like a good idea. Lead on, Kriss!"

She shook her head and forced a laugh, grabbing my hand and leading me across the lobby of this beautiful theater... but not quite as beautiful as the girl who caused sparks to linger where she made contact with my hand.

We stopped in front of a set of double doors. I studied them carefully.

"Are you going to announce my arrival when you open the doors?" I asked, forcing the playful tone back into my voice to wash away any remaining awkwardness.

"It's a theater, not a ballroom," she said, a strand of blonde hair falling in her face. My fingers itched to move it away, like they always do in movies, but she beat me to it.

"Good point," I agreed. "Will they announce my arrival when I come to the masquerade?"

If they actually did that, it might make my night.

"I hope not," she said, frowning. "I prefer to keep a low profile nowadays."

My laugh was genuine. It was impossible for this girl to stay under the radar. I turned away, towards the doors, and, dramatically, threw them open.

And stared in wonder.

I'd been to theaters before - there are plenty in Syracuse - but none of them had the charm this one appeared to have. I could see Mrs. Darcy's antique taste in some of the decor, but it had a modern touch to it as well. It had the same homey, comfortable feeling Darcy Manor had, the feeling that was lacking from my own home since Mother died.

A glimmer from above caught my eye. It was a chandelier - a massive crystal chandelier, the same kind of style that was in the grand hall in Darcy Manor, but this one was slightly smaller and was less grandeur.