Premonition

Author's Note: Thank you so much to @chaotikona on Instagram for this utterly gorgeous art of Vandel!!!! I was legit almost brought to tears the first time I saw this, he looks so amazing!!!!!

 Vandel

I rolled over on my side in bed, glancing to Ridley who's eyes had fluttered shut.

"Psssst, Ridley, you awake?"

"I just closed my eyes so...yes," Ridley murmured, his voice rough with sleep.

"I was trying to think of more activities we could do tomorrow," I said, propping myself up with one arm. "I suppose we could go horseback riding or um...maybe I could throw us a party-"

"Vandel," Ridley said, "You don't have to worry about constantly keeping me entertained." With his eyes still closed, he gave me a soft smile. "I'm happy just being here with you. That's enough for me." I felt my cheeks go warm at that, my heart taking off racing in my chest. Ridley let out a little laugh. "That being said, I'd really like to sleep..."

"Of course, of course!" I stammered, hating the fact that just a few words and a smile from Ridley was enough to get me this flustered. "I'll let you sleep! Of course!" I quickly rolled over onto my back once more, determined not to let out a single peep for the rest of the night.

My gaze fell to the portrait of Ridley and I that had been delivered to me via Tuttle a few weeks ago.

Obviously Boris's artistic skills were the bare minimum for someone with the literal title of 'the royal portrait painter' but I supposed I could actually see some minor improvements. He had finally managed to match every facial organ to its correct orifice and I supposed he'd gotten Ridley's eyes right. I meant that more than the simple fact that he hadn't drawn two noses there this time. He had actually managed to capture that spark in them, the never ending fire and passion that was always simmering behind that ice blue gaze. Maybe George's assistance was actually helping him improve after all.

I turned my head now, looking back to Ridley who was sleeping soundly beside me. He looked so peaceful, his chest gently rising and falling. I sighed heavily, subconsciously gnawing at my lower lip. Despite what he'd said...was he really happy? It had been over a month since he'd come here and even though every day felt like a dream with him by my side...I couldn't help but worry. He'd gone from having his entire life and existence revolve around Alteria to living with the very enemies he'd despised his entire life. I tried my best to fill his days with constant entertainment and activities so he'd be distracted, but despite every easy smile and laugh I was still terrified that deep down there was a pain I'd never be able to make go away.

Exhaling softly, I leaned over, absently brushing a few golden curls gently behind his ear. Ridley abruptly stirred, causing me to immediately draw my hand back.

"I'm sorry," I stammered. "I didn't mean to wake you."

Ridley didn't respond, slowly sitting up in the darkness.