chapter seven

chapter seven:: ghost of you

"WHAT are you guys doing here?" Was my first question when I seen Luke, Reggie and Alex in the coffee house once I got inside.

"We're here to perform," Reggie said excitedly, but then I looked at a girl that was staring at me, confused.

"Wait, she can see you guys?" She asked them, but looked at me, "You can see them?"

I nodded, but then noticed Evan was staring at us both weirdly as he stood next to me, "God, you see ghost too? Is California just full of mediums?"

"Evan, can you get me a water?" I asked and he hesitantly nodded, walking away.

"Dawn, this is Julie," Alex introduced, "Julie this is Dawn."

I smiled at her and watched her wave back to me before Reggie spoke again, "It feels like those moments where the cheater gets caught."

I furrowed my brows as everyone else did too- well, except a girl that stood beside Julie, "How does that relate to this?"

"Because, when we're not with Julie, we're with Dawn, and vice versa. And the thing is, they know about each other, but neither of them met each other before now," He explained, still finding himself to make complete sense, "It's like some sort of weird connection thing."

"Reggie, I-" Alex paused before sighing deeply, "Okay, anyways, what brings you here, Dawn?"

"Evan signed me up without my knowledge and I couldn't just flake," I told him, but noticed Luke looking at me confused, "What?"

"How are you going to play with no cello?" He asked me, looking around me to see if my cello was nearby.

"Because I'm singing," I explained and all of their eyes went wide.

"You sing?" Luke asked and I nodded before Evan came back with my water. He then smirked as he noticed Evan, "And this is Evan?"

I nodded again, "Yes, that's Evan."

"Who are you telling about me?" Evan asked, waving his hand out in front of him, which accidentally went through Alex's shoulder without noticing.

"It's those ghost guys I was telling you about," I explained and he gaped his mouth in realization.

"Oh, okay," He hummed, but grabbed my arm, pulling me away, "Why are they here? Are they stalking you?"

"No," I laughed, "They're here to perform, I guess."

"You do know that they're ghost, right? Do they know that?" He questioned me and I shrugged.

"I think they're in a holographic band," I just told him, but hear a voice behind me.

"Hi, I'm Flynn," I turned to see the girl that was next to Julie before I walked off.

I smiled at her, "Hey, I'm Dawn. That's Evan."

"Well, Evan, did Dawn tell you how hot these guys were?" She asked, but whispered to him, "Because they are extremely hot and I mean, extremely-"

"Flynn!" Julie called out and Flynn looked back to meet Julie's glare before she went over to her and stand beside her again.

I then turned to Evan again when everyone clapped for the person that was now getting off the stage, "So when did you put me down for?"

"Not sure, you probably have time before-"

"Next up, we have Dawn Nguyen," My eyes went wide as I heard my name and I then saw Evan's eyes match mine, but his held excitement.

"I don't think I can do this," I panicked, but felt him grab my wrist and drag me towards the stage, "Evan, no. Evan, stop, I can't-"

"Yes," He sternly said as we reached the front of the stage, "Just pretend that it's only me here or that everyone is in their underwear."

I huffed out, "You do know that doesn't help, right?"

He shrugged, "It does for me." Suddenly he pushes me up onto the steps that led to the stage and I stumbled slightly before looking at him as he held up two thumbs.

I then look at everyone in the crowd and I could already feel my palms sweat before I grabbed a stool that sat in the back of the stage. I sit it down in front of the mic and sit down, my head throbbing at the thought of everyone here. I play cello in recital, I remind myself, I play a concerto at talent shows. This is no different.

I fixed the mic and close my eyes, thinking of the first song to come to my head since I really didn't even have a song in mind to sing beforehand. Evan and I argued about it all the way here.

"Here I am waking up," I began, but felt my fingers tremble. Pretend that you're playing your cello, I thought again, pretend. "Still can't sleep on your side. There's your coffee cup; the lipstick stain fades with time. If I can dream long enough, you'd tell me I'd be just fine..I'll be just fine-"

I then take a deep breath and and opened my eyes, "So I drown it out like I always do, dancing through our house with the ghost of you.." My eyes scan the room as I continued to sing, watching Evan watch me with joy, making me smile. I then look around again, but my eyes meet Luke, who stared at me in shock along with the boys. "And I chase it down with a shot of truth; that my feet don't dance like they did with.." I paused briefly at the end, my eyes now meeting someone else's that I never thought I would ever again. I quickly closed my eyes again, "..You."

I released the microphone and listen to the claps in front of me, but I couldn't help but stare at the person, who stood in the middle of the room just for my eyes, clapping among everyone else. I don't stand up until the manager of the place comes up on stage and once he does, I rush down the steps.

Evan grinned happily, "Dawn, that was-"

"Evan, let's go," I told him and grabbed his arm to tug him, but he stood still confused.

"What? Why?"

Luke then approached me with the guys beside him, "Woah, Dawn, I didn't know you were that good. What song is that?"

I couldn't think of an answer as I only looked at Evan, pleadingly, "Evan, please. Let's just-"

"Dawn," I heard and shuddered at the sound of the voice before hesitantly turning around to see Hayes before me with a smile on his face.

The guys turned to look at Hayes as well, giving him a confused look. I stared at him, wanting to shrink in my clothes as he met my gaze, "Hayes."

(a/n:: is this an
obsession? no.

yes. yes it is.)