| chapter one. |

♚ CHAPTER ONE ♚

♚ CHAPTER ONE

AN ORANGE-HAIRED BOY WHO LOOKS like a human version of tangerine hums cheerfully while swinging a white plastic bag filled with popsicles for his upperclassmen because he himself still has enough energy to get out of school. Now that it's almost summer, plus hours of practice, making ice cream is the ideal solution to temporarily cool them down.

Furthermore, Hinata Shoyo was even more excited than usual because his third-year seniors and teammates were also looking forward to the next tournament. After their defeat from Aoba Johsai, they became more determined to go to the Spring Nationals Tournament.

"Yosh!! I'll beat them!!" he yelled to himself, ignoring the strange looks from those around him who were taken aback by his sudden yell.

Hinata took a stance and then ran with eagerness. He was so excited that he didn't notice the person in front of him and collided with him hard.

"Ouch!" The boy immediately rubbed his butt, which was a little hurt from falling so hard into the hard rough ground. Then his gaze was drawn to the person he had collided with. Not even two seconds and Hinata instantly froze.

He was dwarfed by the boy's stature. Hinata wasn't sure if he was the same height as Tsukishima or even taller. His strong and muscular body stood against the sun, covering it and darkening the atmosphere and his field of view, especially with his obsidian black and golden yellow eyes that lit up sharply as if it had stabbed him several times.

He's scarier than Kageyama!!! Hinata screamed in his mind. His body trembles in fear. His fists were clenched, ready to punch, but he felt like something was stopping him. His mouth simply opens and closes, unable to utter a single word.

But all panic and fear vanished when the man continued on his way without saying anything. He acted as if he didn't realize he'd made a Hinata Shoyou want to pee right then and there out of sheer terror.

Hinata shivered. His eyes. His eyes are like those of a crow looking for prey. A death omen.

Hinata immediately exhaled a sigh of relief after a few seconds. Picking up his plastic shopping bag, he resumed his run, not daring to look back at that boy.

"Shoyo!! You're finally here!!" Nishinoya Yuu screamed and jumped up and down.

"Noya-san!!! I brought your favorite!!" Hinata jumped in rhythm with his upperclassmen. "Garigari-kun!! Soda flavor!!"

A few meters near them, a tall man with glasses was staring at them with a deadpan almost disgusted look. "They're like crickets," tiny and always jumping around, Tsukishima wants to add that.

"No, they're more like grasshoppers," argued Kageyama who was still sipping his favorite milk.

"No. Nope. I bet they're like frogs," Tanaka grinned with his hands on his hips. "Wait, frogs or toads?"

With a puzzled expression, Kageyama turned to Tanaka. "Eh? Isn't that the same thing?"

"You are right, Kageyama," Tanaka was also perplexed at this point. "How come they have different names if they are the same?"

Tsukishima let out a resigned sigh, then grabbed the shopping bag and a popsicle in the flavor he liked. Choosing not to answer or even paying attention to them or he will get their stupidity.

The volleyball club members are now seated in a circle, eating the popsicles Hinata purchased with Takeda's money. Usually, they use this time to tell stories, joked, give suggestions, critique, or plan strategies and techniques for their game today.

"Oh, didn't third and second years have participated in the nationals?" Hinata inquired, his eyes twinkling in excitement. "How does it feel? What about the other team? What about the court? The TV?"

The third and second years looked at each other, their expressions instantly changing. They looked sad and happy at the same time. And that was clearly noticed by the first years, Coach Ukai, and Takeda.

"Em, is there something wrong with my question?" Hinata turned to Kageyama before turning back to the upperclassmen, feeling guilty.

"Ah, nothing in particular," Sugawara gave a warm smile. "National, you say? There are a lot of amazing players."

"Oh! Oh! We're also up against the top Aces!!" Nishinoya said, puffing his chest proudly. "Ah, I'm so satisfied when I can receive the spikes!!"

"I remember Asahi almost wetting his pants the first time we competed at the national because he was so scared," Sugawara sneered, which was immediately confirmed by the laughing third years.

"Eh, Suga, you as well... Don't forget yourself, who forgot to toss the ball and instead hit your face when you just replaced senpai," Daichi's words made Suga immediately slap his arm.

"Don't remind me of that!!" he snapped. "You keep going back and forth to the bathroom!!"

Tanaka laughed. "Really Suga-san?!!! I thought Daichi-san was very calm. Hahaha!!!"

Hinata's eyes and aura sparkled brighter than usual if it was possible. "That sounds like a lot of fun!! I want to go to the National too!!"

The only girl in the crowd smiled sadly. "Of course, but the reason we can be there is because of him."

Daichi smiled then nodded. "You're right. He's the one who made Karasuno rise to its glory again."

The orange-haired man who was confused about who his upperclassman was talking about tilted his head. "He?"

"Yanagi Naoto," Tsukishima mumbled.

"Yanagi Naoto? Who?"

"Your mind is only about Little Giant, no wonder you don't know anything," Kageyama taunted who was immediately given an annoyed look by Hinata. "He's the Ace and captain of Karasuno. One of the reasons I wanted to enter here other than Shiratorizawa."

"Ace!!!" Hinata's eyes immediately lit up. "Wait, isn't Asahi-san the ace?"

"Because he was in an accident at the last National, he was unable to return, and that position has now been taken by Asahi, and the position of captain by Daichi," explained Sugawara, his face turning sad

Yamaguchi bit his lip hesitantly to ask. "Em, Suga-san, that Yanagi-senpai... what kind of person is he?"

The man who was asked the question blinked a few times in surprise at his unexpected question. Then he stared, unconsciously his cheeks began to heat up. "Erm... Authoritative?"

"A demon." 

"Strong!!" 

"Sadist." 

"My role model!!"

"Cold."

"A good leader," Daichi replied with his usual smile, but they knew that smile had a hint of sadness in it.

"Hey, don't be like that Daichi!" Suga scolded, lightly slapped his back. "Naoto-kun appointed you captain because he knows you can do it!"

Kiyoko sighed, turning to them with a small smile. "Despite everything they say, Naoto-kun is kind. You will understand once you meet him."

But the question that arises in everyone is... when?