Chapter 42

"Are you alright ... Lucas?" Sofia's soft voice sounded out, stiffly calling his name. Lucas snapped him out of his daze.

Lucas looked up to meet the Sofia's beautiful face. He found out that she was a rather simple girl after Lucas had caught up with the things regarding her.

She always wore simple clothes, the long sleeved white blazer combined with the black skirt that went down her kness. She also act more like a quiet girl next door.

Lucas looked at her and nodded, he didn't speak anything. Right now, unlike last time that Andrew was sticking and interrupting the two. They were walking side by side of each other in the rather comfortable afternoon, right after they had a meal together.

They went to the bookstore as per Sofia's request.

"Do you have something in mind that's bothering you?" Sofia tilted her head to side, making her looked more lovely as she voiced her concern. "If you want to talk about it, I am always available."

Lucas didn't respond for a while. "Don't worry, it's just about work. There has been so much things to be handled lately."

He didn't say the exact words of course. It's just about work, in the office that involved a very complicated story. He also had handled some things, though he was still confused.

His real feelings, what was that? He didn't know how to describe it. Was it just a sense of responsibility towards his old best friend who had accompanied him in his lonely childhood years, or did he really like her for real as a person?

He had ever heard of a phrase that love can comes from the habit of being together with a person for long, in a form of a friend or something else. As it would make them able to see through their personality, as well as the two people compatibility.

However, he just found out that although he did make that innocent and rather silly promise, after so many years passed, he just barely knew her at the moment. She seemed just like a stranger to him, which also made him felt confused. So, he just guessed that everything needed time to recall that familiar feeling again.

Lucas wouldn't lie that sometimes, he longed for that familiar feeling again. He knew how their childhood was like. Sofia was rather a quiet child when she was little, and right now it seemed that she still didn't talk much.

He had his doubts, however, he still buried those deep in his heart.

Lucas looked at Sofia, who was busy reading book titles to find something worth reading that caught her eyes. he couldn't help but analyze her every move and tried to match her figure into that blurry, but also familiar one in his heart.

After a while, Lucas just shook his head.

Lucas paid for the books that Sofia bought; she refused at first, however, under Lucas' insistent persuation, she just relented.

"I will drive you home then." Lucas said after seeing that the sky had gradually turned dark. Sofia seemed to be slightly surprised hearing that, she seemed a bit tangled. But, under Lucas' gaze, she could only nod.

They entered the car and Lucas drove then to the family's little house. They talked about some business and work related topic the whole ride until they arrived at the Sofia's house.

Lucas got out of the car first, and then opened the door for Sofia, who walked out of the passenger seat.

Sofia turned to look at him, seemed to be hesitating. She looked to have come into a kind of decision when the sound of the door being opened reached the two. The one who opened it was Stephen.