20- I Can't Handle Change

GOTHAM CITY, 2008

GOTHAM CITY, 2008

A FEW MONTHS HAD passed since Bruce and Selina had found out about Veronica and Dick. At first they were a tad skeptical about it all, but, as long as it didn't get in the way of their academics and 'hero' work, they were alright with it.

However, the two older heroes themselves, or rather vigilantes, whatever you could call them, insisted that their relationship was strictly professional. Veronica wasn't too sure about that, but they did seem together less often, so maybe it was just a one time thing?

Either way, they had formed an alliance and it wasn't like Veronica was complaining. It was nice to have a stable home and crime had seemed to go down quite a bit, although it was still ever present. Plus, there was Dick, too. The girl couldn't deny he had a huge impact on her life as of late. Aside from the romantic aspect of things, he had helped her pull up her grades to a decent standard during their many study nights, and had helped her with her combat skills. Simply put, Veronica was happy.

That in and of itself was a rare thing. She could only help but wonder when it would end again, and her life would go back to being desolate and empty. Call it being pessimistic, but she couldn't exactly help it.

"Hey, Ronnie," Dick greeted, sauntering into the BatCave, two paper cups of coffee in hand. Veronica spared a quick glance at the boy, giving him a smile and nod of thanks as he handed her the cup, before turning back to the screen she had been looking at, the blueprint of Arkham Asylum displayed. Sitting down in a chair beside the girl, he quirked a brow.

"Arkham blueprints?"

The girl brought the steaming cup of caffeine to her lips, taking a sip, nodding as she did so. "I'm just looking at the way its laid out. Seeing as Bruce wants to fix it up a bit, I'm thinking renovations when it comes to the structure on a few sides might be ideal. It can still hold pretty well and all but there's so many escape options for the criminals. I mean, look at how many already have. It wouldn't cost too much, but, I don't know, it's just an idea."

Dick listened to her proposition, eyebrows raised in surprise. He was shocked she was this invested in the side project Bruce had though, then again, it was Veronica. Someone who would always put 100% into everything she did. He wore a proud grin as he looked at his girl, and took another sip of his coffee.

She looked over at the boy, a small blush coating her cheeks when she realized he was staring. Damn, she had to get that under control. "What is it?"

"Nothing, you just look really cute when you're concentrated."

"Shut up, Grayson."

"Oh come on, you know you love me."

She just rolled her eyes, grin tugging at her cheeks, turning back to the screen. He was right, she really did. It was a notion Veronica couldn't deny even if she wanted to. The boy had somehow wiggled his way into her heart, and under her skin. She hated how he so easily pushed down her barriers, but at the same time she absolutely adored it. The feeling was weird, to say the least.

"Has Bruce seen these yet?" He gestured to the screen, and the many notes she had taken that were displayed beside the blueprints.

"I don't think he has, at least I haven't shown him."

"You should, I think he'd really go for it,"

"Really? Well, I mean I'd hope, but it was more so something I just thought of out of boredom."

"Either way, you should at least try. Hey, if he really likes it maybe he'll even hire you on for the Wayne Enterprises internship or something," Dick suggested, and she sighed.

"Maybe." She yawned, then took a long sip of her coffee. Fatigue filled the girls body, and she leaned back in her chair, closing her eyes for a second. She could hear Dick stand up, place his coffee on the table, and could feel him pick her up out of her chair.

Her eyes opened a crack, "What...?"

"You, are going to take a nap." He stated, it wasn't a question, suggestion or option, but rather a demand. He could see the dark bags under her eyes from all the late night patrols, studying and otherwise. The girl barely ever took time for herself or self-care, so he was going to make her.

She groaned, "But I have math homework," a whine of exasperation escaped from her lips.

"You can finish it later, I know it's not due 'till next week anyways."

"Damn you, Grayson." Veronica let her head hang back, as he carried her up the stairs of the BatCave and lower level, and into her room on the second floor. God, was he strong.

He placed her on her bed gently, and she rolled over onto her side the second her head hit the pillow. Sounds of shouts were heard from down the hall, and Dick looked out the door, walking over to swiftly shut it.

"What's going on?" Veronica mumbled quietly, overhearing the distant shouts.

"Nothing you need to worry about."

"Our coffees are still in the BatCave..."

"It's just coffee, stop trying to make excuses not to sleep, babe."

She let out an unintelligible grumble, and Dick came to lay beside her, pulling her head onto his chest. She snuggled against him happily and let out another tired yawn. He stroked her hair behind her ear slowly, continuing the action, knowing it lulled her to sleep quickly. The shouts down the hall got louder, and he looked down at the girl to see if she was asleep yet. Her eyes were shut, and her breathing was even. She was out cold. Well, that was quick.

His attention shifted to the door then, and the shouts that were now almost outside it. Veronica didn't know, but recently Selina and Bruce had been arguing quite a bit, and it only became more frequent as of late. He didn't know the particulars, but had overheard a few arguments.

"God, Bruce. I'm sorry, okay? You know it's a bad habit I have, look who you're talking to! I was raised to steal, it's not like I did it with a bad intent!"

"You could've just asked, Selina, that's what I'm here for, remember?"

Their voices were muffled but Dick could still make out what they were saying. He could hear them both go quiet, before Selina spoke up again, voice much lower this time. He guessed she had seen Veronica's door closed and assumed they were in there.

"I didn't want to seem like I was asking for too much, or just using you."

"Don't you think stealing behind my back makes it look more like you're using me than just asking?"

Selina went quiet again. "I...I don't know, okay? I told you that you would have to be more understanding if we were going to do this, but, clearly it isn't working."

Dicks breathing increased and his heart rate sped up. What did she mean?

"Clearly it isn't."

"Look, I'm not going to be against you if it ever comes down to it, but this alliance, whatever it is, I can't do it anymore. Me and Veronica will be out of your hair by tomorrow night, okay?"

"Fine by me." Bruce replied, his voice seemingly devoid of all emotion, and Dick could hear his footsteps retreat. Selina stood outside the door for a few more moments, before the clack of her heels sounded throughout the halls and was gone.

How could Bruce just let her go like that? Didn't he care for her at all, as a colleague or otherwise? Looking down at the peacefully resting girl he held, he let out a sad sigh. He wouldn't let Veronica go that easily, how could Bruce do that? He didn't understand, nor did he know what to do. Instead of dwelling on it for the moment, Dick let himself fall asleep with the girl he loved in his arms, for what might be the very last time. He didn't know, but he would fight for her, no matter what the hell happened between Selina and Bruce, or anything, for that matter.

He curled into the girl more, placing a soft kiss on the top of her head.