Chapter 19

"So let me get this straight," Mike started as him and Alexandra were sitting on the bed in the guest rooms, "you literally confronted your grandfather and he didn't even deny it!?"

"I mean, he didn't say it directly." Alexandra shrugged. "But no, he didn't deny it either. He just kept telling me that he was trying to protect me by keeping the truth from me. But I still have no idea what this truth is about my parents' mysterious death."

"And do you believe him? That he was trying to keep you safe?" Mike questioned curiously.

"Honestly? I don't know what to believe anymore." She sighed in frustration. "But whatever it is that he's hiding from me, Edna is in on it as well. I'm sure of it."

"Well, can't you just order her to tell you?" Mike mused. "Aren't house-elves supposed to obey their families' commands or something?"

"Edna's not a full elf," Alexandra reasoned. "Besides, her elfish part is bound to my grandfather, not me. His words matter more than mine."

But just then their attention was caught when there was a knock at the bedroom's door. When it opened up, Mike's mother walked into the room, carrying a few pieces of clothing.

"Here you go, Alex, honey. I've never worn these before. They were gift, but too small for me to wear," she said kindly, placing the clothes at the edge of the bed. "Those robes you're wearing must be really uncomfortable."

"They really are." Alexandra giggled, but she then frowned in confusion when her eyes fell upon the clothes that Mrs. Williams had set for her and saw that they were a black sweater and jeans. "Er... Mrs. Williams... there must've been a mistake... these are Mike's."

"Excuse you?" Mike raised a brow at her dramatically, looking as if he were personally offended. "And when was the last time you saw me wearing those things?"

"Don't worry, these are for women. I assure you." Mrs. Williams chuckled.

"But — women don't wear trousers, do they?" Alexandra questioned.

"They do actually," said Mike with a scoff. "And some of the young witches do too."

"Not in the old traditional Wizarding families, they don't." Alexandra shrugged, smiling. "But I think it's awesome. I always used to amuse myself by picturing women in tuxedos and men in dresses."

"Jesus... are these the kind of stuff you think about when you're staring out of the window?" Mike asked mockingly, looking suddenly alarmed.

"Not always, but yeah." Alexandra giggled.

"Well, come on, Mike," said Mrs. Williams, gesturing him to go outside. "Let's give her some privacy to change."

"Nah, I'm comfortable here," said Mike with a handsome grin, leaning back against the headboard.

But his smile soon faded when in a quick motion Mrs. Williams moved forward and yanked his shirt playfully, dragging him out of the room and making Alexandra laugh.

***

Over the next few days, Alexandra had so much fun that she could easily call that the best Christmas of her life.

They spent the days sleeping in and waking up near noon to the smell of breakfast down in the kitchen. The afternoons were the best time to go out in town and listen to Christmas carols and visit different Muggle shops.

And in the evenings they would all gather around the fireplace with hot chocolate and marshmallows, listening to embarrassing stories that Mr. and Mrs. Williams told about Mike, which was the highlight of Alexandra's day.

Mr. Williams was a doctor and usually had nightshifts, but Mrs. Williams had the Christmas break off of work and was home all day, which Alexandra was really glad about because she enjoyed her company very much.

They were all the nicest people to be around. They already had a large Christmas tree set in their living room, but when they learned that Alexandra had never decorated a Christmas tree before, the next day Mr. Williams came home with a tiny tree as a gift for Alexandra and a few ornaments that she could decorate it with, along with Mike.

But on Christmas morning, Alexandra shot awake when Mike suddenly hit her with a pillow, causing her to jump up in shock, panting heavily.

"Sleep much?" Mike scoffed. "C'mon, it's Christmas!"

"Still doesn't explain why you couldn't have woken me up in a civil way." Alexandra yawned and stretched, getting out of bed.

She was finding her warm pajamas more comfortable than any other clothing, and liked them way better than her own white silk sleeping robes back at home.

"Just let me take a quick shower —" she was trying to say, but Mike wasn't having it. He just grabbed onto her arm and dragged her out of her room and downstairs.

"Merry Christmas!" Mrs. Williams greeted them down, handing them both a cup of hot chocolate with little marshmallows inside it. "Why don't you kids go and open your presents while I get the breakfast table ready?"

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Williams." Alexandra smiled at her before following Mike into the living room, where now they had two Christmas trees.

"Ah, yes... my favorite part of Christmas." Mike grinned as he sat down where the presents were set under the larger tree. "Here, Alex, these are for you."

"R-really?" Alexandra said in a hollow tone, sitting down next to Mike and looking down at her own gifts.

She had gotten more clothes from Mr. and Mrs. Williams, a handmade wooden flute from Hagrid, and a book from Mike seeing as he knew how much she liked it. She was even surprised to see that Edna had sent her favorite homemade chocolate cake, which was Alexandra's favorite.

But then her eyes widened when she found a peculiar present with a note stuck on it which only had one thing written on it,

R.A.B