| 29 | fusionnel

L U D O V I C

L U D O V I C

I gulp the bottle of rum, hoping the burning aftertaste can somewhat calm my racing thoughts.

Her venomous glare haunts me as I can't erase the heated conversation we had hours ago.

Congratulations, you've just destroyed all the good memories I had of you from the past.

The echo of her words lingers attributing to my dark mood.

All I can do is drown myself in alcohol to numb the fucking pain.

The thumping music does little to silence the redundant thoughts either.

Her poignant eyes held nothing but hatred and disdain; unlike anything I've witnessed before.

"Why the sullen face?" Stalon pats my back briefly before ordering some shots from the bartender.

Once the female bartender fills up the shot glasses with vodka, Stalon winks in her direction and she simpers in return.

He'll most likely disappear in the following minutes.

"You've been silent the minute we got here." Stalon's brows furrow as he stares at me in concern, "What's going on man?"

Although I initially thought getting drunk at some downtown club would be enough to erase all thoughts of her, this is far from the case.

"I don't want my mood to affect your night," I slur before taking another gulp of my drink, "Go crazy."

"C'mon man, tell me what's on your mind." Stalon suggests goodnaturedly, "Where's the arrogant and obnoxious bastard I call a best friend? If you don't start acting like him, I'm gonna think he has a doppelganger or something."

When I don't react, he adds, "You're not laughing so this thing bugging you really must be bad."

The background music persists as words fail to form at the tip of my tongue.

"I screwed up big time," I surprise myself by saying before replenishing my lungs with rum.

"Let me guess. . ." Stalon trails off as he squints his eyes, "You and Anaya got into another one of your fights? What else is new?"

"It isn't just some fight we got into. . ." I counter as I ruffle my strands, "I barely recognized her when she told me I was dead to her. I know she's cold and all but I felt like a fucking stranger in her eyes for the first time. . ."

"I'm sure she'll get past it and you guys will be back to bickering like an old married couple," Stalon teases causing me to get infuriated.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I fight the daunting thoughts once again but to no avail.

"She hates my guts more than ever. Knowing her, she'll do everything to avoid being in my proximity at every event."

Stalon doesn't readily react to my words as I can see him shake his head from the corner of my eyes.