04 - The Pink Lady

After the carriage ride had ended, the small group made their way into the Great Hall, each splitting into their appropriate house; The Golden Trio and Neville sat at Gryffindor, Luna sat at Ravenclaw, and Ellie sat at Hufflepuff.

Ellie sat calmly at the Hufflepuff table, but the haunting memory of Cedric's passing bore into her mind. She grazed the wood of the empty seat beside her, imagining that it was occupied by his spirit.

"Hey, is this seat taken?" a Hufflepuff questioned from behind Ellie, her smile innocent and pure.

"Um... sorry, it is," Ellie muttered to the younger girl, making her turn away disappointedly.

Though she felt bad, Ellie couldn't help but defend the seat, even if she knew it would never be filled again. Her mind wandered to the image of the courtyard she'd eventually have to pass through, and she winced at the memories it brought back.

Ellie returned her attention to the front of the room, where the first years were lined up to be sorted into their houses. She noticed Hagrid was missing from his usual post, and she flickered her eyes towards the confused trio seated at the Gryffindor table. In the place of the Defense Against the Dark Arts position sat a short woman dressed in pink attire, seeming to resemble a pale toad.

The Sorting Hat began its song, but with a different tune this year. The hat sung about the origins of the four founders' division and how Slytherin's departure disbanded the houses' togetherness. The eerie tune warned the students about enemies facing Hogwarts and urged the students to stay united. The song ended grimly, the first years more fearful than ever. The sorting ceremony commenced, though the excitement wasn't quite the same as it was in the previous years.

After dinner, Dumbledore stood up, clinking his fork against his glass. The students turned to give him their attention as he began to speak.

"Good evening students," his voice boomed. "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking care of magical creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher: Professor Dolores Umbridge."

He paused for a moment, his lips curling slightly to make a joke.

"And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. As usual, our care taker, Mister Filch, has asked me to remind you—"

Dumbldore's voice was cut off to the sound of Umbridge clearing her throat obnoxiously. The entirety of the hall went silent as they stared in shock at the lady. No one had ever interrupted Dumbledore before, especially during his welcome speech. The squat lady slowly stood up, making her way to the podium to overtake his position.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome," she smiled mischievously, making the Headmaster step backwards with astonishment. "And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to very good friends."

Fred and George snickered loudly from their table, earning the momentary attention from Umbridge.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each Headmaster has brought something new this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved. Perfect what can be perfected. And prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

The students simply stared at her in confusion, their mouths hung open slightly. Dumbledore began to clap, eventually invoking the students to give a scattered applause.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge. That really was a pleasure," Dumbledore stated flatly, unamused by her interruption.

The rest of the feast droned on slowly, the students uncomfortable with the atmosphere Umbridge had created. After dinner, Ellie stood up to leave but was quickly grabbed by Hermione, who had an urgent look on her face as her fingers gripped the yellow robes.

"Hurry. Come with me," Hermione urged as she hurriedly pulled Ellie out of the Great Hall.

Soon enough, they found themselves in the shadows of an empty corridor, not too far from where they came.

"What is it, love?" Ellie asked, her face upturned into a concerned expression.

"The Ministry. They're interfering with Hogwarts," Hermione replied with a grave tone.

"And why is this so urgent?"

"It's Umbridge. She's the same person who tried to have Harry expelled this summer. She's trying—"

"Harry was nearly expelled?" Ellie interjected loudly.

"Shh, don't be too loud," Hermione scolded, bringing her finger to her lips as a gesture. "But yes, he was. He used magic trying to protect his cousin. You can imagine how I reacted. But that's aside from the point."

Hermione paused to look around cautiously before hushing her voice to a low whisper.

"Umbridge is up to no good. I don't have a good feeling about her. It's no coincidence that she suddenly became the new professor here, right after what she tried to do to Harry," Hermione warned.

"Hermione, stop worrying so much," Ellie pleaded as she tucked a strand of loose hair behind the Gryffindor's ear. "It's not like she'll do anything. She's just a professor here."

"You need to be careful this year, especially around Umbridge. The Ministry won't stop until they get what they want. And your connections with me—with Harry—might just be a clue to them. There's just something... off about that lady. I don't know what it is yet, but I'll find out."

"We'll find out," Ellie emphasized. "Together, remember? Besides, it'll be easier to investigate with our houses together for Dark Arts."

Hermione's expression softened as she flung her arms around Ellie's shoulders, burying her face in the crook of her neck.

"Thank you, Ellie," Hermione muttered as she embraced her girlfriend appreciatively.

"Of course, my love," Ellie smiled as Hermione broke away.

"Unfortunately, I have to go now," Hermione groaned with reluctance. "Ron and I have to take the first years to their dorms."

"No worries. Prefect duties, right?"

"Right. But I'll see you tomorrow morning, okay?"

Ellie smiled warmly before pulling her girlfriend by the hips for a kiss, merging their lips passionately. The Hufflepuff reluctantly pulled away, their satisfied smiles reaching their ears.

"Don't be late," Ellie warned.

"I'm never late," Hermione countered with a smirk as she backed away from the Hufflepuff, adjusting the pin that sat on her robes.

Hermione proceeded to run back towards the Great Hall, hoping no one had suspected her disappearance.

Ellie watched her girlfriend with a dazed smile, already wishing for the time to pass faster.